The BEST EVER Vegan Mince Pie Cupcakes, with fluffy cupcakes, mince meat homemade pastry stars.
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self-raising flour (You can use gluten-free)
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons of all spice
- 60g of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the middle
- 1 jar of mince meat (also for decoration)
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 130g of dairy-free block butter
- 400g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste (You can use vanilla extract)
- 3 tablespoons of mincemeat
- 1 teaspoon of dairy-free milk
Ingredients for the pastry stars
- 120g of plain flour (I use gluten-free)
- 80g of coconut oil (melted)
- 3 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c fan and line two cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and spice. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
- Once cool, core the centre and fill up with mincemeat then pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
- Cream the butter in a bowl, on a high speed until creamy. I use my stand mixer with the balloon whisk attachment.
- When your butter/margarine is creamy & light in colour, add in the icing sugar, vanilla bean paste and mincemeat. Whizz together until fluffy & fully combined. Add a splash of milk if the buttercream is too thick.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle.
- Pipe a bulb of buttercream onto each cupcake and top off with some mincemeat, a star and a dusting of icing sugar.
Method (pastry stars)
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees c fan and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the plain flour, coconut oil and maple syrup. Bring together with your hands until a dough forms.
- Roll out the dough then using a small star cookie cutter, cut out the stars and place onto the lined tray.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 9-10 minutes or until golden in colour. Allow to cool before placing on the cakes.
- Place a star on top of the buttercream and finish off the cupcakes with a dusting of icing sugar.
Serving and storing : Serve these festive cupcakes fresh or store in a sealed container in or out of the fridge, the buttercream will firm up at room temperature. Best eaten within a few days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas baking, christmas cupcakes, mince pie cupcakes, vegan mince pie cupcakes