How to make THE BEST vegan funfetti cookies. Super quick and easy to whip up, with a creamy swirl inside too!
Ingredients for the cookie
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed + 2 tablespoons water
- 100g of dairy-free butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 150g of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 200g of plain flour
- 50g of vegan rainbow sprinkles
Ingredients for the cream cheese swirl
- 40g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 40g of dairy-free butter
- 220g of icing sugar
- 20g of rainbow sprinkles
- 20g of rainbow nonpareils (for rolling)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees c fan and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Add the flaxseed and water into a small bowl, stir and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. This creates an egg substitute.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter, vanilla extract, both sugars and thickened flax mixture. Whisk them together until light and creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, but an electric/nonelectric hand whisk will work great too.
- Sift in all the dry ingredients apart from the sprinkles. Mix the dry into the butter mixture until combined.
- Fold in the sprinkles. Don’t over mix them or they could start to bleed their colour. Just mix until they’re incorporated.
- Add the 20g of nonpareils into a small bowl. Scoop some of the cookie dough using an ice-cream scoop or spoons (approx 40g) into a ball and roll in the nonpareils, set onto the lined baking tray 3 inches apart. These cookies will spread so give them room. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden in colour. Once removed from the oven, allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray. They’ll be soft when they first come out of the oven but will set crisp when cool. Set aside.
Method (funetti cream cheese swirl)
- Add the dairy-free cream cheese and butter in a bowl, and cream together, then add in the icing sugar. I use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment, but an electric hand whisk or hand whisk will work great too.
- Carefully fold in the sprinkles. Don’t over mix them or they could start to bleed their colour. Just mix until they’re incorporated. This cream cheese mixture should be light and creamy.
- Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a wide star tip nozzle. You want a wide nozzle as if the star is too small, the sprinkles will get stuck when you try to pipe.
- Turn the cookies upside down so their flat side is facing upwards.
- Pipe a swirl of the chocolate frosting over half of the cookies, then sandwich a funfetti cookie and plain together.
- Repeat until all the cookies are sandwiched.
- Place the cookies into the fridge to allow the buttercream to set.
To store: Store these cookies in a sealed container in or out of the fridge. Best eaten within 3 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: funfetti, vegan funfetti cookies, funfetti cookies,