The BEST Vegan Salted Caramel Tartlets with a Shortbread Base and gooey caramel filling, topped with sea salt. Delicious!
Ingredients for the shortbread crust
- 260g of plain flour
- 40g of caster sugar
- 200g of dairy-free butter / margarine
Ingredients for the caramel
- 200g of of caster sugar
- 100g of dairy-free block butter*
- 200g of coconut cream*
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c fan and lightly grease a 6 mini tartlet tins with coconut oil or butter.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add in the flour and sugar. Stir to combine. Add in the softened butter / margarine and using your fingertips, rub the softened butter / margarine into the flour and sugar mixture until a crumbly dough forms.
- Firmly press equal amounts of the dough into the tartlet cases / tins and use your fingers to press down the bottom and up the sides. Tip: As the dough is sticky, coat your fingers in some plain flour before pressing it into the tin to prevent sticking.
- Prick the bases with a fork.
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you make the caramel.
- Tip:To get the best caramel for this recipe, it’s best to make the caramel in 2 separate batches. Divide the ingredients quantities in half to do this step.
- Place the sugar into a medium / large saucepan. Place the pan on the hob over a low heat. Allow the sugar to melt, this will take around 5-8 minutes. Make sure to stir the sugar constantly to prevent burning.
- When all of the sugar has melted and is a golden / amber colour, add in the butter. Stir to combine. Allow the butter to melt into the sugar.
- Once it’s combined, it might go a thick consistency, now add in the coconut cream. It will steam and bubble so be-careful!
- Pour the thick caramel quickly into each case. Use an off-set spatula to quickly spread out the caramel, making sure it’s even.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes, then transfer into the fridge for 3 hours, or until fully set.
- Tip: You can leave it in the fridge overnight. The caramel will will turn into a toffee consistency.
To store: As the caramel is cream based, it will turn runny if left at room temperature too long. Keep stored in a sealed container in the fridge. Best enjoyed 2-4 days of making.
What vegan block butter to use? My favourite vegan / dairy-free block butters are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or Flora Plant Based Block Butter Alternative (salted or unsalted).
Coconut cream: Chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, turn it upside down and open. Pour out the liquid and use the thick, white cream. The thicker the cream, the thicker the caramel.
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Tarts and pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: vegan caramel tartlets, salted caramel, salted caramel tartlets, vegan salted caramel tartlets, pastry