How to make THE BEST Vegan Caramel Sauce!
- 200g of caster sugar
- 100g of dairy-free block butter*
- 200g of coconut cream*
- Place the sugar into a medium / large saucepan. Place the pan on the hob over a low heat. Allow the sugar to melt, this will take around 5-8 minutes. Don’t burn the sugar! Make sure to stir the sugar constantly to prevent burning. You can use a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula.
- When all of the sugar has melted and is a golden / amber colour, add in the butter. Be careful, as the sugar is very hot. Remove the pan from the heat and stir to combine. Allow the butter to melt into the sugar. It might bubble but thats fine. Once it’s combined, it might go a thick consistency, now add in the coconut cream. It will steam and bubble again so be very careful!
- Add the pan on the heat and allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes to help thicken it up.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Set aside to cool for 30 minutes, then transfer / pour the caramel into a heat proof jar. Place the jar into the fridge. Allow to chill and and overnight. The caramel will will turn into a toffee consistency.
Store: Keep this caramel sauce in a sealed jar / container in the fridge. Best enjoyed a week of making.
Coconut cream: Chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, turn it upside down and open. Pour out the liquid and use the thick, white cream.
What vegan block butter to use? My favourite vegan / dairy-free block butters are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or Flora Plant Based Block Butter Alternative (salted or unsalted).
- Category: Basics
- Method: Baking
Keywords: Vegan caramel sauce, caramel sauce, vegan caramel