How to make the best vegan, gingerbread millionaires bars with a gingerbread shortbread, gingerbread caramel and a creamy chocolate topping. Great for baking for Christmas.
Ingredients for the shortbread base
- 275g of plain flour
- 20g of dark brown sugar
- 50g of caster sugar
- 3 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon of all spice
- 1 tablespoon of black strap molasses / black treacle
- 200g of dairy-free alternative to block butter / margarine
Ingredients for the caramel
- 400g of Carnation Vegan Condensed Milk
- 120g of dairy-free alternative to block butter
- 30g of black strap molasses / black treacle
- 50g of golden syrup
- 3 teaspoons of ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 25g of caster sugar
Ingredients for the topping
- 50g of dairy-free white chocolate
- 50g of dairy-free of dark chocolate
- 16 mini gingerbread men
Method (shortbread base)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees c fan and line a 8 x 8 inch square / loose base tin with grease proof paper. Allow the paper to hang over the edges of the tin, this makes it easier for removing the bars when ready.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add in the flour, sugars and spices. Stir to combine. Add in the softened butter / margarine alternative along with the black strap molasses / black treacle and using your fingertips, rub it into the dry mixture until a crumbly dough forms.
- Firmly press the mixture into the base of the lined tin, trying to get it as even as possible. Tip: As the cookie dough is sticky, coat your fingers in some plain flour before pressing it into the tin to prevent sticking.
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you make the gingerbread caramel.
Method (ginger caramel)
- Place all of the gingerbread caramel ingredients into a medium / large saucepan. Place the pan on the hob over a low heat.
- Firstly, you’ll see the butter melt into everything. Give it a little stir. Keep it on a low, steady boil. This will take approximately 20 minutes. You’ll want to stir this constantly with a whisk to prevent the caramel sticking and burning on the pan. After 20 minutes, the caramel will turn very thick. Be patient, this does take a while, but it’s worth the wait!
- Pour the thick caramel quickly on top / over of the base. Use an off-set spatula to quickly spread out the caramel, making sure it’s even. This caramel will set quickly so you want to be fast when pouring and spreading.
- Set aside to cool for 30 minutes, then transfer into the fridge for an hour until fully set. Tip: You can leave it in the fridge overnight, then allow it to come to room temperature.
Method (chocolate topping)
- Fill a small saucepan 1/2 full with water, add a bowl on top of the pan creating a bain-marie, place onto the hob over low/ medium heat. Add the dairy-free white chocolate and dark chocolate into the bowl and allow to melt. Once melted, remove the bowl from the heat, add another bowl on top and repeat for the white chocolate.
- Pour the melted chocolate over the set ginger caramel, and tilt the pan to evenly coat. Try to get it as smooth as possible. Tap the tin on the work top a few times to flatten the chocolate and to remove any unwanted air bubbles.
- While the chocolate is still wet, press on mini gingerbread men biscuits and crumble over one gingerbread biscuit.
- Place into the fridge for an hour to set the chocolate.
- Remove from the pan by using the grease proof paper slings, cut into 16 slices using a sharp knife, wiping between each.
- Tip: Turn the millionaires upside down before cutting. As the base is soft and the caramel & chocolate is hard, this prevents the base from squishing.
- Tip: To help cut the bars neatly, heat up the knife before cutting in a bowl full of hot water or use a kitchen blow torch to gently heat the knife. Be very careful when doing this.
What vegan block butter alternative to use?
- My favourite vegan / dairy-free block butter alternatives are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or Flora Plant Based Block Butter Alternative (salted or unsalted).Alternatively, you can use dairy-free / vegan margarine for the caramel, it just won’t hold it’s shape as well as block butter.
Keep these bars stored in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best eaten 2-4 days of making.
- Prep Time: Overnight
- Baking time: 25
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: christmas recipes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Christmas recipes
Keywords: gingerbread millionaires, millionaires bars, gingerbread, christmas recipes