Learn how to make THE BEST Vegan Italian Meringue in only a few ‘simple to follow’ steps.
- 110g of chickpea brine (aquafaba)
- 140g of granulated / caster sugar
- 30ml of water
- 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar
- 125g of dairy-free butter or vegan shortening
- 25g of icing sugar
- Biscoff spread
- Vegan ‘Nutella’
- Melted chocolate
- Pour the chickpea brine (aquafaba) into a small saucepan and place onto the hob, over low / medium heat. Allow to reduce to half of the original mixture. Check if you have the right amount by pouring it into a bowl over some scales, you want 55g of reduced aquafaba. Once ready, remove from the heat and set aside to cool slightly.
- Add 100g of the sugar and all the water into a small saucepan, place onto the hob over medium heat and allow it to simmer/boil. You want the mixture to ready 116°C (240°F). This will take around 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, pour the reduced aquafaba into a clean bowl and add in the cream of tartar. Whisk on high for 5-8 minutes until soft peaks form. I use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment but an electric hand whisk works great too.
- Add in the remaining 40g of sugar, continuing to whisk. It should turn glossy.
- When the sugar syrup has reached it’s temperature, turn down the speed of the mixer, slowly drizzle it into the bowl, turn up the speed again and whip until incorporated. You’ll want to whisk the aquafaba mixture until the sugar syrup has cooled down. The bowl should be cool to the touch. If it’s too hot, the butter will melt when added so keep it whipping until its cool.
- Add in the dairy-free butter, little chunks at a time until it’s all in the bowl. Once all the butter has been added the mixture be thick like buttercream, continue to whisk on medium / high for 5 minutes.
- Add in the icing sugar (this is the time you’d add in the melted chocolate, Biscoff spread, ‘Nutella’ etc), whisk again on medium / high for another 2 minutes to combine.
- Transfer the meringue / cream filling into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle and pipe a high swirl onto cupcakes, or spread over a large layered cake!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
Keywords: italian meringue buttercream, buttercream, meringue buttercream ,italian buttercream