These are THE BEST Vegan Lemon Crinkle Cookies! It’s a strong statement which I stand by 100%. You need to make them! They’re fun and easy to make, perfect for afternoon tea.
- 185g of icing sugar
- 60g of dairy-free softened butter*
- 4 tablespoons of lemon juice
- Zest of 1 large lemon
- 200g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric or 2 drops of yellow food gel*
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees c fan, and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl, add in the icing sugar and softened dairy-free butter. Whisk / whip to combine until it turns smooth and pale in colour. This will take a few minutes. You can either do this by hand or use a electric hand whisk / stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Add in the lemon juice and lemon zest. Whip to fully combine.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and turmeric / a few drops of yellow food gel. Mix this to combine into a thick dough. If the dough is too wet and sticky, use a bit more flour to get it to a smooth, yet slightly tacky dough. You don’t want the dough to be dry so mind how much extra flour you add.
- Once the dough is ready, scoop approximately 40g of dough, roll it into a ball using your hands, then roll it in some icing sugar. Set aside for 10 minutes. Repeat this step for the rest of the dough balls. You’ll want to leave them for 10 minutes in the first roll of icing sugar, this helps with the crinkle. To help the icing sugar to stick, squeeze a few drops of lemon juice onto each cookie dough ball then roll in the icing sugar, this will help the sugar to stick (don’t add too much lemon though, as this can soak up all of the icing sugar, which won’t give you a crackle effect).
- Once they are all coated, re-roll them in the icing sugar for a second time then place onto the lined baking tray ready for baking. Space them out as they do spread slightly.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. They will have puffed up and have a crackle on top.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven and allow to cool on the lined tray. The sugar will have melted slightly onto the paper, so be-careful when lifting off the cookies.
- Store in a sealed container at room temperature. Best eaten within 3 days making.
What food gel to use? My favourite food gel is from Rainbow Dust! They’re food gels are vegan and high pigment, meaning you don’t need as much in your bakes to get your desired colour!
What dairy-free butter to use? My favourite vegan / dairy-free block butters are ‘Naturli Vegan Block’ or Flora Plant Based Block Butter Alternative (salted or unsalted).
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
Keywords: Vegan Lemon Crinkle Cookies, lemon, lemon cookies, crinkle cookies, easy recipes