A decadent, vegan and gluten-free flourless chocolate cake recipe which is easy to make, and only 9 ingredients.
Ingredients for the cake
- 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 6 tablespoons of water
- 70ml of aquafaba (chickpea brine)*
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla bean paste / vanilla extract
- 60g of dairy-free vegan butter / margarine
- 160g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 60g of Koro Coconut Flour
- 30g of cocoa powder
- Dairy-free whipped / single cream
- Cocoa powder – to dust
- Preheat oven to 180ºC F and line a 8” round, loose base cake tin with grease proof paper.
- Add the flaxseed into a small bowl, pour over the water and stir together. Allow this to stand for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the aquafaba into a mixing bowl and whisk until fluffy. This will take around 5 minutes on high speed if using an electric hand mixer / stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment.
- Once fluffy, slowly sprinkle in the sugar in small bursts and add in the vanilla. If you add all the sugar in at once, you risk deflating the aquafaba mixture.
- Keep them mixer whipping on high speed for around 5-8 minutes until meringue resembles marshmallow fluff. It should be thick and glossy.
- Add the dairy-free butter / margarine and chocolate into a small saucepan, place on the hob and heat over low heat until fully melted. Stir to combine.
- Add the ‘flaxegg’ into the chocolate mixture and stir to combine.
- Drizzle the chocolate mixture into the whipped meringue, being very careful folding them together. You want to use a hand held spatula, being careful when folding.
- Sieve the cocoa powder and coconut flour into the bowl and fold to combine. The batter should be airy and drip off the spatula in clumps. If it feels tough, you’ve over mixed it, and the cake will be dryer in texture, and may not have the crinkles on top. Only fold until you see no more dry ingredients then stop.
- Pour the cake mixture into the lined tin, carefully levelling out with the back of a spoon or off set spatula.
- Place the tin into the middle of the pre-heated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before lifting out of the tin.
- Place on a serving plate, slice and enjoy. It’s even more delicious with a spoon of dairy-free vanilla ice-cream or dairy-free cream.
To store: Store this cake in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best eaten within 3 days of making.
What is aquafaba? Aquafaba is the water from a can/tin of chickpeas. The chickpea water or brine as it’s called, acts as an amazing egg substitute for cakes, cupcakes and delicious meringue buttercream. You can also get aquafaba in a carton for easy use.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate cake, vegan chocolate cake, vegan cake, flourless cake, flourless chocolate cake