If you are hosting a tea party or Jubilee gathering, these Vegan Mini Victoria Sponges are a fun way to serve this traditional dessert.
Ingredients for the cakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self raising flour
- 50g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml of sunflower oil
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Ingredients for the buttercream and jam
- 100g of dairy-free block butter*
- 200g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk
- 50g of strawberry jam
- Icing sugar
- Fresh strawberries
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC fan and line a cupcake tin or loose base sandwich tin with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the vanilla extract oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer down the centre of the cakes and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before filling and decorating.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Whip for 5 minutes on high speed until the buttercream becomes pale and fluffy in texture. If it’s too thick add in a splash of dairy-free milk to get it to the right consistency. It should be thick and creamy.
- Transfer the buttercream in to a piping bag fitted with a small star tip nozzle.
- Carefully peel the sponges from the cupcake cases. Slice each cake horizontally.
- Pipe the buttercream decoratively over one half of the sponges, and pipe on some jam in-between the buttercream (watch the tutorial here).
- Place the other half of the sponge on-top to create a sandwich. Press down slightly to stick, but not too much that the fillings will ooze out.
- Place into the fridge for 10 minutes to slightly set the buttercream.
- Decorate with a dusting of icing sugar over each sponge top with half a fresh strawberry.
- Tip: To make the strawberry stick, pipe on a star of buttercream and press the strawberry into it.
To store: Store in the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best enjoyed within 2-3 days of making.
What dairy-free butter to use? My favourite vegan friendly butters are Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Based Alternative. Both can be found in most large uk supermarkets.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: victoria sponge, mini victoria sponge cakes, vegan mini victoria sponge cakes