Soft in the middle, crisp on the outside, these gluten-free vegan chocolate chip cookies taste like they have come straight out of a bakery.
Ingredients for the cookies
- 110g of dairy-free butter / margarine
- 150g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or 1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
- 180g of gluten-free plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk
- 50g of dairy-free dark chocolate chips (plus extra to decorate)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 cookie trays with grease proof paper.
- Add the softened dairy-free butter, caster sugar and vanilla extract to a mixing bowl and cream together. You can either use a wooden spoon or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix until creamy.
- Sift the gluten-free flour, xanthan gum and baking soda to the butter mixture. Mix together until crumbly.
- Add in the dairy-free milk and mix until it forms a thick cookie dough.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Your cookie dough will be very thick, but sticky enough to easily roll into balls.
- Scoop and roll the cookie dough into small balls (weighing 40g each) and place onto the lined baking tray. Space them out evenly, and press down slightly to flatten. You don’t want to press down too much, you still want them to be ball like. These cookies will spread out a lot so give them room.
- Decorate them with more chocolate chips (optional).
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. When they come out of the oven, they will be very soft. The edges will be firm but the cookies will still be very soft in the middle. They will firm up as they cool down.
- Tap the tray on the worktop to remove any air. This will help flatten them into the bakery style cookie.
- Press in a few more white chocolate chunks to the top of the cookies as they come out of the oven if you like (optional). If the chocolate is too gooey, pop them into the fridge to set.
To store: Store these cookies in a sealed container, in or out of the fridge. Best enjoyed within 5 days of making. If you store them in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before enjoying.
What dairy-free butter to use? if you’re using a vegan butter, my favourites are Naturli Block and Flora Plant Based Block Butter.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free cookies, chocolate chip cookies, vegan cookies, gluten free, gluten-free chocolate chip cookies