THE BEST Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Cake. Easy to make and delicious! NO-ONE will be able to tell it’s vegan & gluten-free! Make it and see!
Ingredients for the cake
- 70g of cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon of finely ground coffee
- 270g of self raising gluten-free flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons of bicarbonate of soda
- 410g of caster sugar
- 250ml of dairy-free milk*
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 15g of ground flaxseed
- 65ml of cold water
- 220ml of hot water
- 120ml of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the chocolate buttercream
- 300g of icing sugar
- 90g of cocoa powder
- 120g of dairy-free block butter*
- 60ml of hot water
- Preheat oven 180°C fan and line two 8-inch loose base / spring form cake tins with grease proof paper.
- Sift the cocoa powder, ground coffee, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and sugar into a mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add the dairy-free milk and lemon juice into a jug or bowl, whisk to combine. Set aside for 5-10 minutes to curdle. This makes a vegan buttermilk.
- Add the ground flaxseed and cold water into a bowl, stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Add the vegan buttermilk to the dry ingredients, along with the flax eggs, oil and hot water. Stir into a batter. It will be quite thin.
- Evenly divide the batter into the cake tins (approximately 700g of cake batter in each tin). Tap on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Place the cakes into the middle of the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the middle of the cakes come out clean.
- Once baked, allow the cakes to cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then remove from the tins and place on a cooling rack to cool fully. I like to place the cakes in a sealed container overnight. This makes them even more moist.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter, whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder, whip on high speed for a couple of minutes to incorporate it.
- Pour in the hot water and whip to combine. It will turn into a smooth fudge frosting.
- Place one of the cakes on a serving plate or cake stand. Dollop some of the buttercream on top and spread out until even using an off-set spatula or pallet knife.
- Place the other cake on top, and spread more of the buttercream around the edges and top of the cake.
- Slice and serve.
To store: Store in a sealed container in the fridge. Best eaten within 2 days of making.
What dairy-free butter to use? My favourite vegan butters are Naturli Block Butter and Flora Plant Based Butter Alternative.
What dairy-free milk to use? Soya milk is the best milk to use in this cake as it helps the buttermilk curdle, but any dairy-free milk will be fine.
- Cook Time: 35-40 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free cake, vegan gluten free chocolate cake, chocolate cake, gluten free chocolate cake