A must for all banoffee fans! Delicious Vegan banana cupcakes with caramel and banana buttercream. Super easy!!
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self raising flour
- 50g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml of sunflower oil
- 60g of banana puree
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 190g of dairy-free block butter
- 60g of banana puree
- 280g of icing sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Natures Charm Butterscotch sauce
- Banana slices
- Preheat your oven to 180ºC fan and line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake cases.
- Mash 2 small bananas with fork in a bowl and weigh out 120g. You’ll want 60g for the cupcakes, and 60g for the buttercream.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. This creates a vegan buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fold in 60g of banana puree.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the centre of the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer down the centre of the cakes and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting and decorating.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and whip until creamy, then add in the 60g of banana puree. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and vanilla extract. Whip for 5 minutes on high speed until the buttercream becomes pale and fluffy in texture. If it’s too runny, add in a few more chunks of butter to get it to the right consistency.
- Transfer the buttercream in to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle.
- When the cupcakes are cool, core the cupcakes with a apple corer.
- Add some caramel into a piping bag and fill the cupcakes with caramel sauce.
- Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake.
- Decorate with a drizzle of caramel sauce and a fresh slice of banana. TIP: If you’re serving the cakes with fresh banana, add it just before you serve the cakes as banana can turn brown in colour when it’s been exposed to the air for too long. Alternatively, you can use dried banana.
To store: Store these cupcakes in a sealed container in the fridge. Best enjoyed 3 days of making. Leave at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.
Make sure the cupcakes are cooled completely before frosting and decorating, or the buttercream and caramel will melt.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan banoffee cupcakes, banoffee cupcakes