Vegan Apple Hand Pies with a cinnamon sugar apple filling and flaky puff pastry make these apple hand pies a delicious and easy treat.
Ingredients for the apple pie filling
- 200g of apples (see method 1. for details)
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 50g of caster sugar
- 15g of gluten-free flour (I use oat flour)
- 2 sheets of vegan / gluten-free puff pastry
- Sugar (for sprinkling)
- Dairy-free milk (glaze)
Method (apple pie filling)
- Wash and chop the apples in to small squares / chunks and add into a medium sized mixing bowl along with the spices, sugar and flour. Stir to combine then set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C fan and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Unroll the pastry sheets leaving in the baking paper. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten out any wrinkles in the pastry.
- Using an apple shaped cookie cutter, cut out apple shapes on one of the pastry sheets. Roll out the scraps to cut out a few more shapes.
- Transfer these pastry shapes to the refrigerator while you cut out the other sheet.
- Roll out the second sheet of pastry. Aim for about the same thickness as the first sheet. Cut lattice strips as desired (you want to make sure they are long enough to fit over the pie when the filling is in place).
- Line up a few of the strips and begin to lattice. See the video here on how to lattice pasty.
- Once you have latticed the pastry, use the apple shaped cookie cutter to cut out the apple shape in the lattice. Repeat until you’ve used up all the pastry and have enough apple lattices for the pies.
- To assemble the apple hand pies, I find it is easiest to make one at a time. Take one of the apple pastry shapes and place it onto the lined baking tray. Add 1-2 teaspoons of the apple filling into the middle and brush some dairy-free milk around the edge of the pastry, this will help the lattice stick. Tip: Don’t add too much apple filling or it will ooze out when baking. It may also result in the apple pie loosing its apple shape.
- Lay one of the apple lattices on the top and press the edges down to stick the the pie filling and milk. Brush milk over the top of the pie and sprinkle with some course sugar. Repeat for all of the pies.
- It’s best to bake the pies a tray at a time as the pastry will puff up. I like to bake 5 on a tray at a time. Place into the middle of the pre-heated oven and bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden in colour and the pastry is flakey.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly on the tray then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature or warm. Store leftovers covered at room temperature.
To store: Serve at room temperature or slightly warm. Store any leftovers lightly covered at room temperature. Best enjoy day of making.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
- Category: Pies and pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: hand pie, hand pies, apple pie, vegan apple hand pies, vegan apple pie, puff pastry