Two comfort foods are better than one! Say hello to the BEST, easy-to-follow recipe for homemade Vegan S’more Brownies- YUM!
Ingredients for the biscuit base
- 250g of plain biscuits (I use digestives)
- 120g of dairy-free block butter
Ingredients for the brownie
- 60g of cocoa powder
- 180g of plain flour
- 190g of dairy-free dark chocolate (I use Koro chocolate chips)
- 110g of dairy-free block butter
- 120ml of aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 280g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 20g of vegan marshmallows
Ingredients for the marshmallows
- 60g of vegan mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan and line a 8×8 inch square loose base tin with grease proof paper.
- Add the biscuits into a blender and blitz until crumb like.
- Add the dairy-free butter / margarine into a saucepan, heat on the hob over low / medium until fully melted then pour over the biscuits. Mix to combine, it should resemble wet sand and stick together.
- Press into the lined tin, making sure it’s compact. Bake for 5-8 minutes then remove from the oven and prepare the brownie batter.
- Sift the cocoa powder and flour together in a medium bowl.
- Fill a small saucepan 1/4 full with water and place on the hob over medium heat. Add in 170g of the dairy-free chocolate and butter into a heat proof bowl. Place the bowl over the pan, creating a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate and butter to melt together, stirring with a heat proof spatula. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes while you make prepare the aquafaba.
- Add the aquafaba and sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl and whip up on high speed for around 5 minutes until thick and glossy. I use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment. A electric hand whisk will work great too.
- Add in the vanilla extract and whip on high speed to combine. The aquafaba mixture should be thick enough that when it drips into the bowl, the mixture should ribbon off the mixer.
- Pour the chocolate over the aquafaba, and carefully fold together with a spatula. Make sure to be very gentle with this step as you want to keep as much air in the mixture as possible.
- Once combined, sift in the flour and cocoa powder. Again, fold this in with a spatula until a rich and thick brownie batter forms.
- Add in the remaining 20g of chocolate chips and marshmallows, stir to combine.
- Pour the brownie batter on top of the biscuit base and level off with an off set spatula.
- Place the tin into the middle of the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the tin from the oven and allow to cool fully on a wire rack. TIP: Keep the brownie in the tin while it’s cooling. This will help it keeps it’s shape and will also lock in some of the moisture, which will help with the chewy texture.
- Add a layer of vegan marshmallows over the brownie in a layer, then place into the middle of the oven under the grill setting. Marshmallows burn extremely easy, so keep an eye on them. Toast the marshmallows until golden in colour the remove from the oven. Alternatively, use a kitchen blow torch to toast the marshmallows.
- Use a hot knife to slice the brownies into bite sized bars, serve and enjoy.
To store: Keep the brownies fresh in a sealed container in the fridge, best eaten within 3 days of making.
It’s best to add on the marshmallows just before serving to keep them soft and gooey. If you add on the marshmallows, and pop then in the fridge, the marshmallows will turn chewy.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30-35 minutes
- Category: brownies and bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: s'mores brownies, vegan s'more brownies