The most delicious Vegan Caramel Apple Cookies, with fresh apple, caramel sauce and cream cheese frosting. Spicy, sweet and best of all, absolutely scrumptious!
Ingredients for the apple pie filling
- 180g of chopped apples (see step 2)
- 40g of caster sugar
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon of cornflour / cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Ingredients for the cookie
- 115g of dairy-free butter (cubed)
- 140g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 30ml of dairy-free milk
- 210g of plain flour
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tablespoons of Natures Charm Coconut Caramel Sauce
Ingredients for the cinnamon sugar
- 2 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the frosting
- 30g of dairy-free butter
- 20g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons of Natures Charm Oat Whipping Cream
- 250g of icing sugar
- 1 vanilla bean pod (seeds only)
- Natures Charm Caramel (for the swirl)
Method (apple pie filling)
- Wash, core and chop the apples into small bite sized squares. When you have measured out 180g, take out 60g of apple and set aside. This will be baked into the cookie.
- To the 120g of apple, place into a small saucepan, along with the sugar, cinnamon, cornflour and lemon juice. Place the pan over a low / medium heat and cook. Constantly stir with a heat proof spatula for around 5 minutes, or until the apples soften slightly and the sauce turns thick and jellified.
- Transfer the cooked apple mixture into a bowl and allow the mixture to cool fully before use. Cool at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Whip with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Whip again until combined.
- Sift in the flour, ground cinnamon, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the remaining 60g of chopped apples.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 6 balls using spoons or an ice-cream scoop.
- Transfer some caramel into a piping bag and pipe some into middle of the the dough.
- Before baking, sprinkle some of the cinnamon sugar on top of each cookie.
- Place the cookies on the lined tray (leave the dough in balls, don’t press them down!), leaving room in between as they will spread when baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes, or until very lightly golden.
- Once baked, remove the trays from the oven, use a round cookie cutter to help shape the cookies. Use the cookie cutter to scoot the cookies into a circle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray. While they’re cooling, make the frosting.
Method (cream cheese frosting)
- Add the butter, cream cheese and whipping cream into a bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, either in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or using a hand held electric whisk.
- Add in the icing sugar and vanilla, whip until creamy. If it’s too thin or if it ever splits, add in some more chunks of butter.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle.
- Once the cookies are fully cool, pipe a half swirl of the cream cheese frosting on top of each cookie, filling in the middle of the swirl with caramel sauce. Divide the apple pie filling on top of the cookies and serve with a sprinkle of icing sugar to dust. Place into the fridge to chill and set.
- Once set, serve and enjoy.
To store: Store the cookies in a sealed container in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before serving. Best enjoyed 3 days of making.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American