Bakery-style Vegan Caramel Apple muffins have the height, texture and flavour of a classic muffin, but they’re made gluten-free, eggless, dairy-free with an easy gluten-free option too! Super easy, just one bowl, and perfect for an autumnal breakfast or dessert! Happy Baking!
Ingredients for the streusel
- 60g of plain flour (for gf, you can use oat flour)
- 20g of light brown sugar
- 20g of white granulated sugar
- 90g of dairy-free butter (room temperature)
Ingredients for them muffins
- 6 teaspoons of ground flaxseed + 6 teaspoons of water
- 370g of pain flour / all purpose flour (you can use oat flour)
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of ground arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan gum
- 200g of white granulated sugar
- 60g of dairy-free plain / vanilla yogurt
- 115g of dairy-free butter ( room temperature)
- 300ml of dairy-free milk (room temperature)
- 50g of chopped apple
Ingredients for the frosting
- 20g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 30g of dairy-free butter
- 150g of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of caramel
- Dairy-free caramel (for drizzling)
- Icing sugar (to dust)
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour and sugars.
- Add in the room temp butter and use a fork to mix and claw the ingredients together until combined but still clumpy. Don’t over-mix or the streusel will become like a soft paste, simply toss together until mixture is clumpy, no longer dry, and the flour is completely combined. Set aside while you make the muffin mixture. Make the streusel the day before and store in the fridge in a sealed container.
- Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake / muffin liners. Mix together the ground flaxseed and water in a bowl, and set aside. This creates the ‘ flax egg’.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, arrowroot and Xanthan gum.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the sugar, dairy-free yogurt, room temp butter and milk along with the flax egg. Pour this in to the dry ingredients and fold everything together until just combined. Don’t over mix! Fold in the chopped apple.
- Rest the muffin batter. Cover the bowl with grease proof paper or a tea towel and place into the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to bake the muffins, preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Fill each muffin / cupcake case to the very top of the liners with the muffin batter. It makes it easier if you use an ice-cream scoop to scoop the batter into the cases, alternatively use spoons. Top each muffin with a good portion of the streusel (make sure the streusel is overing the batter.)
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 12 minutes at 180°C fan. After 12 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 160°C fan and bake for a further 16-18 minutes, or until the skewer / toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins come out clean.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow to cool on a wire rack before frosting. If you add on the caramel or frosting while the muffins are hot / warm, everything will melt, wait until they are cool to the touch.
- Add the dairy-free cream cheese and butter into a bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, either in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or using a hand held electric whisk.
- Add in the icing sugar, whip until creamy. If it’s too thin or if it ever splits, add in some more chunks of butter. Add in a teaspoon or two of caramel and whip to combine. The frosting should be thick.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle.
- Add some caramel sauce into a piping bag and snip off the tip. Pipe a zig-zag of caramel over each muffin, and pipe a small bulb of the frosting on the top of each muffin. Serve immediately or place into the fridge to chill.
To store: Store un-frosted muffins in a sealed container out of the fridge for 1-2 days. Frosted muffins can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan caramel apple muffins, caramel apple muffins,