Rich chocolate cookie, chocolate fudge swirl topped with a white chocolate marshmallow, these ‘cute and spooky’ vegan marshmallow ghost cookies will be a hit this Halloween!
Ingredients for the cookie
- 115g of dairy-free butter (cubed)
- 140g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 30ml of dairy-free milk
- 210g of plain flour
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 30g of dairy-free white chocolate chips
Ingredients for the frosting
- 100g of dairy-free block butter
- 150 of icing sugar
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 30ml of aquafaba (see notes*)
Ingredients for the marshmallow ghosts
- Large vegan marshmallows
- 100g of dairy-free white chocolate
- 20g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Whip with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Whip again until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 6 balls using spoons or an ice-cream scoop.
- Place the cookies on the lined tray, pressing them down slightly, leaving room in between as they will spread when baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the trays from the oven, use a round cookie cutter to help shape the cookies. Use the cookie cutter to scoot the cookies into a circle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray. While they’re cooling, make the frosting.
Method (chocolate frosting)
- Add the butter into a bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, either in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or using a hand held electric whisk.
- Add in the icing sugar and cocoa powder, whip until creamy.
- Pour in the aquafaba and whip on high speed until light and airy, this will take around 4-6 minutes. If its too thick, add more chunks of butter / aquafaba to get it to the right consistency.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip nozzle.
- Pipe a thick swirl of chocolate frosting on top of each cookie.
Method (marshmallow ghosts)
- Fill a small saucepan 1/4 full with water and place on the hob over medium heat. Add the dairy-free white chocolate into a heat proof bowl. Place the bowl over the pan, creating a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate to melt, stirring with a heat proof spatula. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the large marshmallows on some tooth picks, using a spoon to drizzle the melted chocolate over. Place the chocolate coated marshmallows onto some grease proof paper and pop into the freezer for 2-4 minutes to set.
- Drizzle some of the melted white chocolate over the chocolate frosting, and place one of the marshmallows in the middle.
- Melt some dark chocolate in the same bain-marie method, this time adding the chocolate into a piping bag, snip off the tip and pipe 3 dots on the front of the marshmallow for the ghost eyes and mouth. Serve!
To store: Store the cookies in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making. Un frosted cookies can be left at room temperature for up to 2 days.
What vegan block butter to use? My favourite vegan block butters are Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Block Based Alternative. Find them in most supermarkets.
What is aquafaba? Aquafaba is the water from a can/tin of chickpeas. The chickpea water or brine as it’s called, acts as an amazing egg substitute for cakes, cupcakes and delicious meringue buttercream. You can also get aquafaba in a carton for easy use.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween baking, halloween cookies, ghost cookies, crumbl cookies, vegan marshmallow ghost cookies,