Easy, quick and simple Vegan Melting Snowman Pop Tarts with a berry jam filling and marshmallow snowman.
Ingredients for the pastry
- 240g of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 220g of dairy-free block butter (cold and cut into small cubes)
- Ice-water (see method)
- 1 jar of vegan friendly strawberry jam
Ingredients for the icing and decorations
- Large vegan marshmallows
- 200g of icing sugar
- Dairy-free milk
- Orange food gel
- Cocoa powder
- Black food gel
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together the flour and sugar. Add in the cold / cubed butter and mix until it resembles sand. You can mix by hand or in a food processor.
- Add in the ice water 1/2 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together. It may require 1-2 tablespoons of ice-water. You want the dough to be smooth and slightly sticky, but not too dry or wet.
- Wrap the dough in some grease proof paper and place into the fridge for 30 minutes. This will help to prevent sticking when you roll it out.
- Preheat oven to 170°C fan and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Lay a sheet of grease proof paper on your worktop and dust with some flour.
- Roll out the dough in-between 2 sheets of floured grease proof paper until its a large rectangle. You’ll want the dough relatively thin. Cut the pastry into rectangles (approximately 3×5 inch) then place on the lined trays. You can keep re-rolling the excess dough to use it all up.
- Spoon a teaspoon or two of berry jam on to half of the rectangles and gently spread it out. Make sure there’s about 1/3 inch open space around the edge of your pastries, then brush the edges with some dairy-free milk.
- Place another pastry rectangle shape over the jam. Using your finger, press down the edges of the pastry to stick them together to create a parcel, then press together with a fork to seal.
- Brush the tops of the pop tarts with some dairy-free milk. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the pop tarts are golden brown.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool before glazing and decorating.
Method (icing and decoration)
- Sift the icing sugar into a mixing bowl. Add in a teaspoon of milk in at a time, mixing in-between until the icing is like ‘tooth paste consistency’. You want it thin enough to drizzle over the pop tarts, but thick enough it wont all drip off and become super sheer.
- Separate some of the icing into 3 separate bowls. You’ll only need a tiny but of each colour, so keep the larger amount of icing plain white. Colour one bowl with orange food gel for the carrot nose, the second bowl back for the eyes and buttons and the last bowl with brown for the stick arms.
- Transfer the coloured icings into separate piping bags with the tip snipped off only very small.
- On a large marshmallow, pipe two black dots for the eyes, then 5 smaller black dots for the mouth. Pipe a orange carrot in the middle for the nose. Allow to dry at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle white icing over the pop tart, then stick on the marshmallow. Allow to dry.
- Once the white icing has dried, pipe 2 stick arms and the buttons. (as seen in the photos).
- Allow the icing to dry then serve.
To store; Keep stored in the fridge in a sealed container. Allow to come to room temperature for 15 minutes before serving. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
- Category: Tarts and pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas baking, snowman pop tarts, pop tarts, vegan pop tarts