This is truly the BEST EVER Pumpkin Spice Cake recipe. It’s moist, perfectly spiced, full of silky caramel and smothered in creamy cream cheese frosting. It’s the ONLY pumpkin cake recipe you will ever need!
Ingredients for the cake
- 480ml of dairy-free milk
- 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
- 420g of self raising flour
- 350g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 1 & 1/2 tablespoons of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons of ground cloves
- 2 teaspoons of ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 120ml of sunflower oil
- 100g of pumpkin puree
Ingredients for the frosting
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c fan and line three, 8 inch loose base / push up cake tins with greaseproof paper. If you don’t have 3 cake tins you will have to bake the cakes separately. Just cover the unused batter until you’re ready to use it.
- In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger.
- Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil and pumpkin puree into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Pour equal amounts of batter into the lined cake tins. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the centre of the preheated oven and bake for around 25-30 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool slightly before removing them from the tins. Leave the cakes to cool fully on the cooling rack. Once cool, pop them into a sealed container to keep them fresh before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and cream cheese, whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and cinnamon. Whip on high speed for around 5 minutes to incorporate it.
- Place one of the cakes on a serving plate or cake stand. Dollop or pipe some of the buttercream on top and spread out until even using an off-set spatula or pallet knife.
- Optional filling: Make a well in the middle of the buttercream and fill with 1-2 tablespoons of caramel sauce.
- Place the second cake layer on top. Press it down gently so it sticks, repeat for the third cake. Coat the whole cake with a thin layer of buttercream. This creates a crumb coat.
- Place the cake into the the fridge to set for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and apply a second/final coat, this time making it thicker, then using a cake scraper to make the edges of cake smooth.
- Add some of the white frosting into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle and pope a swirl around the top edge of the cake.
- Separate the left over frosting into two separate bowls. Colour one with with a dab of orange food gel and a dash of cocoa powder to create a deep orange colour. Add some cocoa powder to the second bowl to create a chocolate coloured frosting. Transfer the orange frosting into a piping bag fitted with a small round tip nozzle, and transfer the brown frosting into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
- Use the orange frosting to pipe little pumpkins around the cake in a scattered pattern. Then use the brown frosting to create a stalk at the top of the pumpkin. If you have left over frosting, you can pipe some mini pumpkins to the top edge of the cake.
- Slice and enjoy!
To store: Store this cake in a sealed container in the fridge. Best eaten within 3 days of making.
Remove from the fridge and leave at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
Un-iced cakes can be stored in a sealed container at room temperature for 2 days.
What vegan butter to use? My favourite vegan / dairy-free butters are the Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Based Butter Alternative.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Pumpkin Cake, Pumpkin Spice Cake, Pumpkin Cake, Vegan Pumpkin Spice Cake