Rich mint chocolate cookie, chocolate swirl topped with a reindeer, these cookies are perfect for Christmas.
Ingredients for the cookie
- 115g of dairy-free butter (cubed)
- 140g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 30ml of dairy-free milk
- 210g of plain flour
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 100g of Hu Chocolate Crunchy Mint (roughly chopped)
Ingredients for the frosting
- 100g of dairy-free butter
- 150g of icing sugar
- 10g of cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract
- 20ml of aquafaba (chickpea brine)
Ingredients for the reindeer
- 50g of dairy-free white chocolate
- 80g of Hu Chocolate Crunchy Mint
- Handful of fresh cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Or you can whip with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the peppermint and milk. Whip again until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just combined.
- Fold in 80g of the chocolate.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 8 balls using spoons or an ice-cream scoop.
- Press the remaining chocolate on top of the cookies.
- Place the cookies on the lined tray, pressing them down slightly, leaving room in between as they will spread when baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes.
- Once baked, remove the trays from the oven, use a round cookie cutter to help shape the cookies. Use the cookie cutter to scoot the cookies into a circle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray.
Method (chocolate frosting)
- Add the butter into a bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, either in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or using a hand held electric whisk.
- Add in the icing sugar, cocoa powder and peppermint. Whip until creamy.
- Pour in the aquafaba and whip on high speed for around 5 minutes until light and creamy.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle.
- Once the cookies are fully cool, pipe a swirl of the frosting on top of each cookie.
- Place the dairy-free white chocolate into a heat-proof bowl. Fill a small saucepan 1/4 with water and place over the hob on a low / medium heat. Place the bowl on-top to create a bain-marie. Melt the white chocolate and allow to cool for a few minutes. Repeat for the dark chocolate.
- Transfer the white chocolate into a piping bag and snip off the tip. Repeat for the dark chocolate, so you’ll have two bags filled with white and dark chocolate.
- Lay a sheet of grease proof paper on a tray and pipe a circle of the white chocolate and add a dot of dark chocolate into the middle for the eyes. Repeat until you have lots of eyes.
- Pipe some dark chocolate antlers on the paper. Transfer the tray into the freezer for 10 minutes to set the chocolate.
- once set, remove form the paper and press into the frosting to stick to create the reindeer. Ad on a fresh cranberry for the nose.
To store: Store in a sealed container in the fridge, and enjoy within 2-3 days of making. Leave at room temperature for 15 minutes before serving.
What vegan butter to use? My favourite vegan / dairy-free butters are the Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Based Butter Alternative.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas cookies, christmas baking, crumbl cookies, mint chocolate