These The Grinch Hot Chocolate Bombs make amazing gifts, or incredible movie nights at Christmastime! Snuggle in with your favorite Grinch movie and sip on some green hot cocoa!
- 150g of dairy-free white chocolate
- Red food gel
- Green food gel
- 50g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- Dairy-free white chocolate buttons for the eyes
- Vegan hot chocolate powder
- 1 pack of mini vegan vanilla marshmallows
- Vegan white non-pareils
- Dairy-free milk (for serving)
- Green candy canes (for serving) – optional
- Fill a small saucepan 3/4 full with water and place onto the hob over low/ medium heat. Finely chop the white chocolate and place 3/4 of it into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan to create a bain-marie and allow to melt. You’ll need the other 1/4 of the chocolate to temper it. Tempering the chocolate makes the bomb more durable. Check out this amazing tutorial on how to temper chocolate.
- Divide the tempered melted chocolate into 2 bowls.
- 1st bowl- Add the majority of the chocolate and colour with green food gel.
- 2nd bowl- Add in a drop of red food gel and mix fully to combine.
- Transfer the red chocolate into a piping bag, and pipe a Santa hat and small heart shape on some greaseproof paper. Sprinkle some white non-pareils to the base and top of the hat to replicate the fur. You’ll want to work extremely quickly with this chocolate as the chocolate will set incredible fast. Chill until set.
- Using a food-grade brush, brush a thin layer of the green chocolate into the silicone moulds then place into the freezer for 5-8 minutes until set.
- Remove from the freezer then paint a second coat of green chocolate over the first, making sure it’s thick and covers any gaps or holes. Be quick, as the second coat will set fairly fast. Pop into the freezer for 5 minutes. White chocolate is thinner than dark chocolate, so make sure the layers are quite thick. You might need a few layers of the green chocolate.
- Remove the chocolate spheres out of the moulds. They’ll be shiny and firm to touch. Place them onto a clean work surface or board.
- Fill a small saucepan 3/4 full with water and place onto the hob over low/ medium heat. Finely chop the dark chocolate and place it into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan, this creates a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate to melt. Transfer into a piping bag.
- Use the melted dark chocolate to attach the white chocolate button eyes and Santa hat to the front of the hot chocolate bomb. Pipe on the eyebrows, eyes, nose and mouth (refer to photos for reference).
- Fill the un-decorated chocolate sphere with a few teaspoons of hot chocolate powder, a handful of mini marshmallows and the red chocolate heart.
- Pipe some melted chocolate around the rim of the chocolate sphere and attach the second sphere on top, pressing together gently to seal in the fillings.
- Place as much dairy-free milk into a saucepan as you like and bring to a low boil.
- Pour the hot dairy-free milk into a heat-proof mug and drop in the chocolate bomb, watch it explode with marshmallows and hot chocolate.
- Stir with a spoon, or go all out and use a green candy cane. It also adds a peppermint flavour!
To store: If you have tempered the chocolate, the chocolate bombs can be left at room temperature. If the chocolate isn’t tempered, store in the fridge until ready to use. Best enjoyed within a week of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Drinks
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: the grinch, christmas baking, hot chocolate bomb, hot chocolate bombs, the grinch hot chocolate bomb