Take the classic and much loved cherry bakewell tart, and make it into a tray bake! A buttery layer of shortbread, filled with cherry jam, fluffy frangipane and icing. A delicious treat with a fun Christmas twist!
Ingredients for the shortbread
- 120g of plain flour
- 70g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 115g of dairy-free block butter (cold and)
Ingredients for the jam layer
- 150g of cherry jam
Ingredients for the frangipane
- 130g of caster sugar
- 6 tablespoons of coconut oil (melted)
- 60g of plain flour
- 6 tablespoons of dairy-free milk
- 2 teaspoons of corn starch
- 5 teaspoons of almond extract / flavouring
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 250g of ground almonds
Ingredients for the icing
- 450g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract / flavouring
- 4 tablespoons of dairy-free milk
Ingredients for the decoration
- Glacé cherries
- 30g of dairy-free dark chocolate (melted)
Method (shortbread base)
- You will be using the ‘oven and steam combination setting’ on the Panasonic Combi Oven to bake the base.
- Preheat Panasonic 4-1 Combination oven to 200℃ and line an 8 x 8 inch square / loose base tin with greaseproof paper. Allow the paper to hang over the edges of the tin, this makes it easier for removing the cherry bakewell when ready.
- Sift the flour and sugar into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in the vanilla extract and stir to combine.
- Add in the cold butter. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mixture until a crumbly dough forms.
- Crumble the dough into the base of the tin and press down with your hands or an off-set spatula. Tip: Dust your fingers with flour, it prevents the dough from sticking.
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until light and golden in colour.
- Remove the shortbread from the oven. Spread over the cherry jam. Set aside while you make the frangipane.
- Preheat the Panasonic 4-1 oven to the oven setting to 180℃.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the caster sugar and melted coconut oil until combined.
- Add in the flour, dairy-free milk, cornflour, almond extract and baking powder. Mix to combine.
- Fold in the ground almonds until fully incorporated.
- Spread the frangipane over the tray bake and level out with a spoon or off set spatula.
- Place back into the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown in colour and the filling has set. If the frangipane looks like its burning at any time, remove from the oven and cover with some foil until the middle has baked.
- Once baked, remove them from the oven, allow to cool fully in the tin at room temperature before icing.
Method (icing and decoration)
- In a bowl, add in the icing sugar and almond extract. Mix to combine, adding in one tablespoon of dairy-free milk at a time until its a similar consistency to toothpaste.
- Pour the white icing over the top of the frangipane, being careful not to get any of the frangipane in the icing layer. Allow this to set slightly before adding on the reindeer details. You can leave it at room temperature or use a hair dryer to help speed up the process. Adding a little bit of heat can help crust over the icing faster.
- Set the Panasonic 4-1 oven onto the microwave setting, add the dairy-free dark chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and melt. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in-between until the chocolate is silky smooth. Transfer into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
- To create the reindeer, add glacé cherries over the traybake, pipe on two dots for the eyes and some reindeer antlers.
- I like to set this in the fridge for at least 4 hours before serving. Doing this will help boost the flavours and set the icing.
To store: Keep the bars stored in the fridge in a sealed container to retain the moisture. Best enjoyed within 4 days of making, however I recommend enjoying these on the day of making!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cherry bakewell bars, cherry bakewell, vegan cherry bakewell bars, christmas baking, Festive, Reindeer, Vegan recipe