You will fall in love with these Vegan Biscoff Chocolate Lava Cakes, with a rich molten chocolate center and white chocolate decoration. Ready in less than 30 minutes!!
Ingredients for the cake
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 170g of plain flour
- 40g of cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 170g of caster sugar
- 100g of dairy-free butter
- 4 tablespoons of Biscoff spread
- 150g of dairy-free white chocolate
- Cranberries (decoration)
- Biscoff cookies (crumbs for decoration)
- Holly leaves (decoration only)
Method (Biscoff filling prep)
- Line a board or tray with grease proof paper. Scoop a tablespoon of Biscoff spread, roll in a ball and place on the paper. Freeze for 30 minutes until firm. You’ll need 4 as this recipe makes 4 cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan. Prep your ramekins by placing them on a baking tray. Grease them with coconut oil and set aside.
- Combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar. Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates the vegan buttermilk.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, and baking powder. Stir to remove any big lumps.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan on the hob, then pour into the dry ingredients along with the buttermilk. Stir until just combined. Don’t overmix. The batter should be thick and pourable.
- Pour the batter into the bottom of the ramekins so they are 1/2 of the way full.
- Remove the Biscoff balls from the freezer and press on into the batter. Pour over a tiny bit more batter to cover the Biscoff ball. Pour the remaining batter on top, so the Biscoff is completely covered and the ramekins are 3/4 full.
- Bake the cakes in the middle of the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes. They should be firm around the edges yet slightly jiggly in the middle. Remove the cakes from the oven, and let the ramekins cool at room temperature for 2-3 minutes.
- Gently wiggle a knife around the edges of the cakes. Place a plate on the top of the ramekins and flip it upside down, tapping the bottom of the ramekins to loosen the cakes and help them slide out. Serve immediately or add some decorations.
Method (white chocolate and decoration)
- Fill a small saucepan 3/4 full with water and place onto the hob over low/ medium heat. Finely chop the white chocolate and place it into a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of the saucepan to create a bain-marie and allow to melt.
- Once melted, spoon on top of the cakes, letting it drip down the sides. of the cakes.
- Decorate with some cranberries and holly leaves to look like mini christmas puddings (do not eat the leaves, they’re only for decoration only). Finish with a dusting the tops with powdered sugar, or with a scoop of non-dairy ice cream.
To store: Store the cakes in the fridge and allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best served warm, fresh out of the oven.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Lava cake, Biscoff cakes, vegan lava cake, biscoff lava cake