Best Ever Gluten-free Vegan mini chocolate orange cheesecakes, rich creamy and zesty.
Ingredients for the base
- 100g of gluten-free plain biscuits (you can also use regular)
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 50g of dairy-free butter / margarine
Ingredients for the cheesecake filling
- 300g of dairy-free cream cheese (I use Violife)
- 80g of caster sugar
- 150g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 1/2 tablespoon of orange extract
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
Ingredients for the chocolate topping
- 100g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- 20g of coconut cream (thick white cream from a can of coconut milk)
- 2 teaspoons of orange extract
- Vegan chocolate orange segments
- Fresh orange (zest for decoration)
- Line a cupcake tin or deep cookie cup tin with cupcake cases.
- Add the dairy-free butter / margarine into a small saucepan, place on the hob and heat over low until fully melted. Remove from the heat and add into a medium sized, heat-proof mixing bowl.
- Add the biscuits and cocoa powder into a blender / food processor and blend until fine. Pour the biscuit crumbs into the melted butter and stir together using a wooden spoon or spatula. It should resemble wet sand, and when you press it between your fingers, should hold its shape. Press approximately 1 & 1/2 tablespoon of mixture into each cupcake case, making sure to compact it in using clean hands. The more compact it is, the less likely it will crumble. It’s best to use a loose base tin, I’ve linked a great one here.
- Place into the freezer whilst you make the filling.
Method (cheesecake filling)
- Add the dairy-free cream cheese and sugar into a mixing bowl and whip together until light and fluffy. I use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment, on high speed for approximately 5 minutes. You can whip this by hand using an electric hand whisk or hand held balloon whisk.
- Fill a small saucepan 1/4 full with water and place on the hob over medium heat. Add the dairy-free chocolate and orange extract into a heat proof bowl. Place the bowl over the pan, creating a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate to melt, stirring with a heat proof spatula. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the cream cheese mixture and whip to combine. Add in the cocoa powder and continue to whip until its rich in colour and is light and creamy in texture.
- Transfer the cheesecake mixture into a piping bag, snip off the tip and pipe on top of the bases. You can also spoon in the cheesecake mixture, but using a piping bag is really quick & easy.
- Smooth the tops of the cheesecakes and place into the fridge for at least 8 hours. I recommend allowing the cheesecakes to chill overnight in the fridge.
- Once chilled and ready, carefully peel away the paper cases or push the cheesecakes out of the tin, and place on a serving plate. You can serve and enjoy them as they are, or add one some delicious toppings.
Method (chocolate puddle)
- Fill a small saucepan 1/4 full with water and place on the hob over medium heat. Add the dairy-free chocolate, coconut cream and orange extract into a heat proof bowl. Place the bowl over the pan, creating a bain-marie. Allow the chocolate to melt, stirring with a heat proof spatula. Remove from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add a 1/2 -1 tablespoon of the chocolate on top of each cheesecake, smoothing it out slightly.
- To finish off the cheesecakes, grate some fresh orange zest on top and place a vegan orange chocolate segment into the wet chocolate. Adding it into the wet chocolate will help the chocolate segment stick.
To store: Store in the fridge. Best eaten within 2-3 days of making.
Cream cheese: To be honest, any dairy-free cream cheese will work perfectly in this recipe. My favourites to use are: ‘Violife Cream Original’, Sainsbury’s own Free From Cream Cheese’. Any soft, and creamy cream cheese is great!
Coconut cream: Chill a can of coconut milk in the fridge overnight, turn it upside down and open. Pour out the liquid and use the thick, white cream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cheesecakes
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Chocolate orange, mini cheesecakes, chocolate orange cheesecake, vegan cheesecake, no bake dessert