A vegan chocolate orange marble loaf cake loaded with flavour, with a chocolate orange frosting. Delicious and easy to make.
Ingredients for the marble loaf cake
- 250g of plain flour
- 1 + 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tablespoons of cornflour / cornstarch
- 300g of caster sugar
- 150g of dairy-free butter (melted)
- 140g of dairy-free plain / vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 150ml of dairy-free milk
- 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1/2 tablespoon of orange flavouring
Ingredients for the chocolate frosting
- 70g of dairy-free block butter (softened)
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 100g of icing sugar
- Dairy-free milk (if needed)
- Fresh orange zest to decorate
Method (marble loaf cake)
- Preheat oven to 160°C fan and line a loaf tin with grease proof paper or a loaf liner. Set aside.
- From a block of vegan butter, cut a small strip of butter, measuring the length of the tin and place on some grease proof paper. This will be placed on top of the batter before baking. This will help give the loaf the classic ‘crack’ down the middle of the cake.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cornstarch / cornflour, sugar until combined.
- Add in the melted dairy-free butter, yogurt, vinegar and milk. Whisk to combine and until smooth.
- Equally divide the mixture into two separate bowls.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder to one bowl and 1/2 tablespoon of orange extract / flavouring to the other bowl. Mix to combine.
- Alternatively spoon the different flavoured batters into the tin (watch the video tutorial here) until all of the batter is in the tin.
- Use a skewer or tooth pick to create swirls in the batter but don’t over-mix.
- Lay the butter strips to the middle of the loaf (don’t press in!)
- Place the loaf in the middle of the oven and bake for 60 minutes. Check it at around 50 minutes just to make sure the top isn’t burning, then allow it bake for the remaining time. You’ll know its ready when a toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the loaf from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow the loaf to cool down fully in the tin. Once cooled to room temperature, use the sides of the grease proof paper or paper loaf liner lift out the loaf and place on a serving plate.
Method (chocolate frosting)
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter, whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and icing sugar. Whip on high speed for around 5 minutes to incorporate it. Add in a teaspoon of dairy-free milk at a time until it reaches a smooth and creamy consistency. If it’s too thick, add in more chunks of butter. You want it to be smooth.
- Spoon the frosting to the top of the cooled down cake and spread out with either the back of a spoon or off set spatula.
- Finish the loaf with some fresh orange zest on top. Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store the cake in a sealed container in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making. Best eaten second day of making.
Store un-frosted cake in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Cakes and layer cakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Marble loaf cake, chocolate orange, vegan chocolate orange loaf cake, vegan chocolate orange cake, vegan loaf cake, vegan pound cake