These are seriously the BEST Vegan Lemon Drizzle Muffins. Not only do they bake with the most perfect muffin tops, but they’re also incredibly moist, with a zesty lemon curd filling. They’re also made with fresh lemon, so there’s a burst of fresh lemon in every single bite.
Ingredients for the lemon muffin
- 6 teaspoons of ground flaxseed + 6 teaspoons of water
- 370g of pain flour / all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground arrowroot
- 1/4 teaspoon of Xanthan gum
- 200g of caster sugar
- 60g of dairy-free plain / vanilla yogurt
- 115g of dairy-free butter (room temperature)
- 300ml of dairy-free milk (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 2 lemons (zest only)
Ingredients for the streusel
- 60g of plain flour
- 40g of caster sugar
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 90g of dairy-free butter (room temperature)
Ingredients for the lemon curd
- 1 + 1/2 tablespoons of corn flour + 1 tablespoons of water
- 50g of dairy-free butter/margarine
- 50g of caster sugar
- 85ml of lemon juice
- 2 small unwaxed lemons (zest)
- 50g of vegan condensed milk*
- Pinch of turmeric
Ingredients for the icing
- 80g of icing sugar
- 1 fresh lemon (see method for details)
- In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the flour, sugar and lemon zest.
- Add in the room temperature butter and use a fork to mix and claw the ingredients together until combined but still clumpy. Don’t over-mix or the streusel will become like a soft paste, simply toss together until mixture is clumpy, no longer dry, and the flour is completely combined. Set aside while you make the muffin mixture. Make the streusel the day before and store in the fridge in a sealed container.
Method (lemon muffins)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line two 6 cup cupcake tins with cupcake / muffin liners.
- In a small bowl combine the flaxseed with the water, stir until a paste and set aside. This will turn thick and jelly like.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, sieve in the flour, baking powder, arrowroot, xanthan gum and sugar. Mix to break up any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, add in the yogurt, room temperature butter, milk, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix to combine. Pour the wet into the dry and mix until just incorporated. Don’t over-mix!
- Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon, divide the mixture between the cases. Make sure the batter reaches the top of the liners.
- Sprinkle a good amount of the streusel on top of each muffin, making sure the tops are covered.
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 12 minutes at 180°C fan. After 12 minutes, reduce the oven temperature to 160°C fan and bake for a further 16-18 minutes, or until the skewer / toothpick inserted into the middle of the muffins come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow the muffins to cool in the tin.
Method (lemon curd)
- In a small bowl, add in the corn flour and water. Stir together into thick paste.
- Add the cornflour paste, dairy-free butter, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, condensed milk and a pinch of turmeric into a medium sized saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on the hob and heat over low to medium, stirring constantly, preferably with a whisk. After around 5-8 minutes the lemon curd will thicken. If the curd isn’t thickening, turn up the heat and constantly whisk.
- Pour curd into a heat proof jar or bowl, cover and place aside to cool down.
- You can either put it in the fridge or keep it at room temperature to cool. Before you use it, give it a good stir as it will thicken.
- In a small bowl, add in the icing sugar. Add a teaspoon of lemon juice in at a time, stirring in-between until you have a smooth and runny paste. Drizzle over as much as you want over the tops of the muffins.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store the muffins in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before serving. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Category: muffins
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: lemon cake, muffins, lemon muffin, lemon drizzle, vegan muffins, vegan breakfast