Vegan Puff Pastry Easter Swirls – Flakey puff pastry Vegan Nutella, topped with chocolate cream and mini eggs. Great for Easter Baking.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan and line 2 large baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Unroll the pastry sheet leaving the baking paper underneath. This will prevent sticking. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten out any wrinkles in the pastry.
- Spread 3 – 4 tablespoons of vegan Nutella spread over one half of the pastry sheet, leaving the other half plain.
- Lift up the plain pastry, and fold over, on top of the Nutella to create a parcel.
- Using a sharp knife or pizza roller, cut the pastry into strips (as wide as you’d like them).
- Twist the strips then roll into spirals (watch the tutorial here).
- Place on the baking tray, spread 3 inches apart (as they will spread / puff up).
- Brush the tops and sides of each swirl with some dairy-free milk, and sprinkle over some sugar. This will help get a gorgeous golden colour to the pastry, along with making them extra flakey.
- Place into the middle of the oven and bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour.
- Once fully baked, remove the tray from the oven and allow to cool. They can be served as they are or decorated for easter.
Cream and mini eggs
- In a stand mixer fitted with balloon whisk attachment, add in the dairy-free cream and whip up into soft peaks. You can also do this with an electric hand held whisk. Add in the cocoa and whip until thick and creamy. Transfer the chocolate cream into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle.
- Pipe a swirl of the cream on top of each pastry.
- Place 3 vegan mini eggs into the middle of the cream to look like little nests.
- Serve with a dusting of icing sugar and enjoy.
To store: Store the pastry swirls in a sealed container in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best served day of making. Best eaten 2 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Puff pastry, Easter, Easter baking, Easter recipes, mini eggs, vegan puff pastry nutella nests