The BEST Vegan Doughnuts – a soft pillowy dough, with a jam filling and glaze. Shaped as flowers, they’re easy to make and delicious!
Ingredients for the doughnuts
- 330ml of warm dairy-free milk
- 14g of active dry yeast
- 75g of caster sugar
- 600g of self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 100g of dairy-free butter (melted)
- 2 flax eggs (2 tablespoons of ground flax + 6 tablespoons of water)
- Sunflower oil (see step 10 for details)
Ingredients for the jam filling
- 60g of berry jam (you can use raspberry, strawberry or cherry for example)
Ingredients for the lemon icing
- 200g of icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon of almond extract
- Dairy-free milk
- Pour the warm dairy-free milk into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and sugar, stir, cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 10-15 minutes until frothy. TIP: To heat the milk, add it into a small saucepan and simmer until it’s warm. If the milk is too hot it can kill the yeast, so make sure its just warm.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour & salt and stir.
- In another separate bowl, add in the flaxseed, melted butter and water, stir to combine and set aside for 10 minutes to thicken. This creates your vegan egg substitute.
- Combine the dry mixture, yeast mixture and thickened egg substitute into a bowl and stir.
- Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to knead on medium until nice and smooth.
- Pop the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and place into a warm area (I place mine in my conservatory) and allow to prove for around 2-3 hours or until double in size.
- Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a floured surface, form into a large dough ball and divide the dough into equal balls. Weigh the balls out to 100g each.
- Roll the dough into balls and flatten down with the palm of your hand. Use a sharp knife to cut the ‘petals’. Make 6 cuts around the edges of the dough ball (refer to photos above for example). Gently squeeze the ends of the ‘petals’ together to give them a rounder edge. Repeat for the entire batch of doughnuts.
- Place the doughnuts back into a warm area covered with a tea towel for around 30 minutes until they have doubled in size.
- Add oil into a deep pan until half – 3/4 full and bring to the boil. Allow it to come up to 300 degrees. You can also use a deep fat fryer.
- Once the doughnuts have risen, gently lower them into the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until puffed and golden brown in colour.
- Carefully take them out of the hot oil and place them onto kitchen paper to drain any excess oil.
Method (icing and jam filling)
- In a small bowl, sift in the icing sugar and add in the almond extract. Add in a teaspoon of milk at a time until a runny paste. You want the glaze to be quite thin.
- Dip the tops of each doughnut in the glaze and allow any excess to drip back into the bowl. Repeat for all the doughnuts.
- Transfer some jam into a piping bag and pipe into the middle of the ‘flower’. You can also spoon this on if you don’t have any piping bags.
- Dust with some icing sugar and serve. The glaze will set after 10-15 minutes at room temperature.
To store: These doughnuts are best enjoyed day of making! Make sure to store them in a sealed container in the fridge, and allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Only store for up to 24 hours.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 2-5 minutes
- Category: Doughnuts
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan doughnuts, flower doughnuts, vegan jam doughnuts, vegan donut