Easy Vegan Crème Brûlée Cookies – Vanilla cookies with homemade vanilla pastry cream caramelised sugar. No-egg, no-dairy only 10 ingredients.
Ingredients for the cookies
- 115g of dairy-free butter (cubed)
- 140g of caster sugar (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 30ml of dairy-free milk
- 210g of plain / all purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
Ingredients for the pastry cream
- 35g of caster sugar
- 15g of cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutritional yeast
- Pinch of turmeric
- 250ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract/ 1 vanilla bean pod (seeds only)
- 60g of vegan butter
Ingredients for the sugar topping
- 100g of caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Whip with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Whip again until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 60g balls using spoons or an ice-cream scoop. Sprinkle over some sugar (optional). The amount of cookies you have depends on the size you make them.
- Place the cookies on the lined tray (leave the dough in balls, don’t press them down), leaving room in between as they will spread when baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until very lightly golden.
- Once baked, remove the trays from the oven, use a round cookie cutter to help shape the cookies. Use the cookie cutter to scoot the cookies into a circle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray. While they’re cooling, make the pastry cream.
Method (pastry cream)
- Add all of the pasty cream ingredients into a medium sized saucepan. Heat on low / medium, constantly stirring with a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon until it thickens, approximately 3-5 minutes.
- Once thickened, transfer the cream into a heatproof bowl or container, allow to cool slightly, then cover the top with some clingfilm. Doing this will prevent the cream from forming a skin. Use immediately or chill in the fridge in a sealed container until ready to use. The cream will thicken, so you’ll want to whisk it vigorously or smooth it using an immersion blender before using. Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle.
- Pipe a swirl of the pastry cream on top of each cookie.
Method (caramelised sugar)
- Sprinkle approximately 1/2 tablespoon of sugar over each cookie, coating the pastry cream. Use a kitchen torch to brûlée the sugar until it is golden brown. Yum!
- Let the cookies cool for 10 minutes after torching, then serve and enjoy!
To store: I would highly recommend serving / eating the cookies the same day you make them. If you plan to serve them the next day, wait to top them with the pastry cream on the day you serve them. Store the sugar cookies in an airtight container. When ready to serve the cookies, pipe on the pastry cream on top and brûlée the sugar.
What butter to use? My favourite vegan butter is Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Alternative Butter.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-14 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: French
Keywords: Vegan Creme Brûlée Cookies, Creme Brûlée, Sugar cookies, Easy recipes