Pumpkin shaped shortbread sandwich cookies are soft, delicious, melt in the mouth, and stuffed with vegan friendly Nutella for the ultimate indulgent treat.
Ingredients for the cookies
- 200g of dairy-free block butter (cold and cubed)
- 100g of caster sugar
- 300g of all purpose / plain flour
Ingredients for the pumpkin sugar
- 4 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin spice (See notes for details)
Ingredients for the filling
- 1 jar of Vegan Nutella (I use Natures Store)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and mix into a thick dough. Transfer the dough into plastic wrap or baking paper and chill in the fridge for at least 40 minutes -1 hour to firm up.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 170°C fan and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Once the dough is chilled and firm to the touch, roll out to approximately ½ cm thickness on a heavily floured work surface (this prevents the dough from sticking). Cut into shapes using a pumpkin cookie cutter. Place the shapes on the lined baking tray.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-15 minutes until golden brown at the edges. You can even turn the tray half way through to ensure an even baking.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack. Repeat until all the cookies are baked.
Method (pumpkin sugar)
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar and pumpkin spice. Coat half of the cookies in the sugar (only the cookies which will be on top. If you coat the bottom cookie in sugar, the vegan chocolate spread won’t stick).
- Add a few tablespoons of vegan ‘Nutella’ into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
- Pipe a bulb of the spread to one half the cookies, and sandwich a cookie on top. Make sure to place the sugar coated cookie on top, as if you go to pipe the spread on a sugar coated cookie, it wont stick very well.
- Press down gently so that the chocolate peeks through the pumpkin design.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store the cookies in a air tight / sealed container in the fridge. Enjoy chilled. Best enjoyed within 3-4 days of making.
Pumpkin spice: A mixture of ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, ground cloves, all spice and ground ginger.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan Pumpkin, Nutella, Halloween baking, Halloween cookies, Pumpkin cookies