How to make Vegan Chocolate Cream Buns, shaped as reindeer for the Holidays. Chocolate buns with chocolate spread and a whipped chocolate cream are decorated with a glacé cherry and chocolate details. Vegan, No-Egg, No-Dairy and easy to make.
Ingredients for the buns
- 250g of dairy-free milk
- 7g of active dry yeast
- 500g of plain flour
- 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 100g of caster sugar
- 70g of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the cream filling and decoration
- 15g of vegan chocolate spread / vgean ‘Nutella’ (I use Natures Store Hazelnut & Cocoa Spread)
- 220ml of dairy-free double cream / whipping cream
- Glacé cherries
- 1 pack of dairy-free white chocolate buttons
- Black fondant (for the eyes)
- 80g of dairy-free dark chocolate (for the antlers)
- Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Pour the warm dairy-free milk into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and a tablespoon of the sugar, stir. Cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 8-10 minutes until frothy. TIP: To heat the milk, add it into a small saucepan and simmer until it’s warm. If the milk is too hot it can kill the yeast, so make sure its just warm.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar and cocoa powder. Mix to combine.
- Once the yeast mixture is frothy, pour into the dry ingredients along with the oil.
- Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to knead on medium until nice and smooth. The dough should be soft, smooth and slightly sticky.
- Once kneaded, place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a tea towel and place into a warm area (I place mine in my conservatory) and allow to prove for around 2-3 hours or until double in size.
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper. You might want to line two just in case.
- Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, form into a large dough ball and divide the dough into equal balls. Weigh the balls out to 100g each. Take each ball of dough and roll it with your hands to form a smooth, round shape (watch my video tutorial here). Place the dough balls on a lined baking tray lined with grease paper and let proof a second time in a warm place for 1 hour. The buns will puff up on their second prove and will also rise in the oven, so make sure to space them out on the tray / trays.
- Once ready to make, preheat oven to 180°C fan. Brush the top and sides of each bun with some dairy-free milk, place onto the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the tops of the buns are golden in colour, and soft to touch.
- Allow the buns to cool fully before cutting open and filling with cream.
Method (Cream filling and decoration)
- Whisk the dairy-free cream and cocoa powder using an electric hand whisk or in a stand mixer fitted with a balloon whisk attachment until it has thickened and soft peaks form. Transfer the whipped cream into a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle (you can even use a star tip nozzle for a different effect).
- Use a sharp serrated knife to cut open the buns open on a diagonal, but do not cut all the way through!
- Spread some chocolate spread on one half of the bun, then pipe in some of the chocolate cream, continue piping in the cream until the bun is filled, then use a clean knife to scrape the cream flush to the bun.
- Roll little balls of black fondant and press on to white chocolate buttons. This makes the reindeer eyes.
- Press a glacé cherry into the middle of the front of the buns, into the cream and press the eyes above, either side of the cherry (refer to photos for reference).
- Melt some dark chocolate in a microwave or on the hob, transfer into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
- Line a tray or board with grease proof paper. Pipe antlers on the paper then place into the freezer to set.
- Make a hole in the tops of the buns and place in the antlers.
- Dust the buns with some icing sugar. Serve and enjoy!
To store: Keep the buns fresh by storing in an airtight / sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature before enjoying.
Best eaten fresh, within 1-2 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Category: Bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: christmas baking, cream buns, sweet buns, reindeer dessert, christmas recipes, bread