These tempting pastry swirls look like they’re difficult to make…but they’re not! They feature vegan Nutella, rolled up in flakey vegan & gluten-free puff pastry. You’ll be going back for seconds.
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan and line 2 large baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Unroll the pastry sheet leaving the baking paper underneath. This will prevent sticking. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten out any wrinkles in the pastry. Dust over some flour if the pastry is too sticky.
- Spread 3 – 4 tablespoons of vegan ‘Nutella’ over one half of the pastry sheet, leaving the other half plain.
- Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts (optional) over the ‘Nutella’ and press them down slightly to stick.
- Lift up the plain pastry, and fold over, on top of the ‘Nutella’ to create a parcel.
- Roll into a log. Watch the tutorial here.
- Using some long / thin string or a sharp, serrated knife, cut the pastry roll into 2 inch rounds (as thick as you’d like them).
- Place on the baking tray, spread 2 inches apart (as they will spread / puff up).
- Brush the tops and sides of each swirl with some dairy-free milk. This will help get a gorgeous golden colour to the pastry, along with making them extra flakey.
- Sprinkle with more chopped hazelnuts (optional).
- Place the tray one at a time in the oven and bake for 10–12 minutes or until the pastry is golden in colour.
- Once fully baked, remove the tray from the oven and place the other tray in to bake and repeat.
- Allow to cool slightly, then serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: baking
Keywords: puff pastry, nutella swirls, nutella puff pastry swirls, pastry