Buttery biscuit bases, bananas, vanilla custard with a swirl of whipped cream, and a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel sauce. These Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies will become your go-to snack!
Ingredients for the base
- 160g of plain biscuits
- 100g of dairy-free butter / margarine
Ingredients for custard
- 250g of canned coconut cream (thick white cream only)
- 170ml of dairy-free milk
- 50g of cornstarch / cornflour
- 70g of caster sugar
- 40g of dairy-free butter / margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract / 1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
- Pinch of turmeric or yellow food gel (optional)
Ingredients for the cream
- 100ml of dairy-free cream
- 2 tablespoons of dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 large ripe bananas
- Vegan caramel sauce (to drizzle)
- Dairy-free dark chocolate (for grating)
- Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners, set aside and pre-heat oven to 180°C degrees c fan.
- Crumble the biscuits into a blender and blitz until you have fine crumbs.
- Add the dairy-free butter into a saucepan, heat on low until melted. Add the melted butter into the biscuits and pulse again to combine.
- Add 2 tablespoons of buttery biscuit base into each cupcake case, and compact with something flat, like the base of a small glass or rolling pin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Method (custard filling)
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and place over a low / medium heat. Whisk until the ingredients are combined, stirring almost constantly until the custard begins to thicken. It should be thick enough that it coats the back of a spoon.
- When thick, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the custard is left for too long, it will go gelatonous. No worries, simply vigorously whisk it back to a smooth consistency. I like to use an immersion blender for this.
- Slice up the bananas, place into a bowl and coat in lemon juice. This prevents them from turning brown in colour.
- Place a few slices of banana into the biscuit ‘cup’.
- Transfer the custard into a piping bag and pipe approximately 1 – 1/2 tablespoon of custard on top of the bananas, into each cup.
- In a stand mixer or bowl with an electric hand whisk, whisk the dairy-free whipping cream and cream cheese until soft peaks. Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle, then pipe a bulb on top of each pie.
- Decorate with a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce, a grating of dark chocolate and a banana slice.
To store: Store the mini banana pies in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making.
How to prevent banana from turning bowl – Make sure to coat the sliced bananas in some lemon juice. The acid in the lemon juice inactivates polyphenol oxidase to prevent browning.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
- Category: Tarts and pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banoffee pie, mini vegan banoffee pies, banana cream pie