Buttery biscuit base, a whipped banana cream filling, topped with a swirl of whipped cream, fresh banana slices and a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel sauce. Keep reading to learn how to make the best Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies.
Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies
Easy Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies which you won’t be able to stop making, and eating! If your family and friends love a delicious mini dessert, be sure to make these vegan banana cream pies. Perfect for kids to get involved with making too.
We are currently having a heatwave here over in the UK right now, and I don’t know if you’re anything like me, but having the oven on, baking in this heat is a big fat NO. I couldn’t think of anything worse than being in a hot kitchen right now.
Simply no-bake recipes are perfect during the summer. It means you can enjoy all the delicious desserts and treats, without having to pop the oven on and become a sweaty mess- haha! I mean, if you want to bake the bases, it’s only for 6- minutes then the rest you finish off without the oven- yay!
These mini pies have a biscuit base, creamy filling topped with dairy-free whipped cream. I made a quick batch of my popular Vegan Caramel Sauce, and added a light drizzle to the top of each pie. It adds a sweetness, and makes the pies taste even better.
Why you need to make these banana cream pies:
- They’re vegan!!
- They can be made gluten-free, with optional gluten-free biscuits in the base
- Only takes 6-8 minutes to bake the bases
- They take minutes assemble
- They’re truly scrumptious
- They can be kept in the fridge, ready for snacking
- They’re topped with the BEST vegan caramel sauce (you could drink this stuff, haha)
Ingredients you’ll need to make these banana cream pies
- Plain biscuits – I like to use plain Digestives. If you’re in the US use graham crackers. To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use a gluten-free plain biscuit.
- Dairy-free butter / margarine – You’ll be melting this to mix into the biscuits to make a buttery biscuit base. A dairy-free butter or margarine will work great.
- Canned coconut cream – Use the thick white cream out of a can of coconut cream.
- Dairy-free milk – Any dairy-free milk will work great in this recipe.
- Corn starch / corn flour – The addition of the cornflour / cornstarch in the custard helps it thicken. It’s an essential ingredient to get the right consistency.
- Caster sugar – I like to use plain caster sugar, but white sugar or coconut sugar also works great.
- Vanilla extract – To get the best flavours, make sure to use a good quality vanilla. I like to use vanilla bean pod seeds as this really helps to elevate the flavours in the custard and overall dessert.
- Turmeric / yellow food gel – This is optional, but to help give the custard a slight colour, add in a pinch of turmeric or a drop of yellow food gel.
- Dairy-free whipping cream – You want to make sure to find a good quality dairy-free cream which can whip up to soft peaks. My favourites are the ‘The Coconut Collaborative Double Cream’, and ‘Elmlea Plant Based Cream Alternative’.
- Dairy-free cream cheese – Adding in some cream cheese into whipped cream helps to thicken it. I like to use Violife Cream Cheese.
- Dairy-free chocolate – It’s not a banoffee pie without some chocolate on top. It’s like the cherry on top of a cake, it cant be missed. Simply use dark chocolate, or even use a vegan milk / white chocolate.
- Bananas – Its not a banoffee pie without bananas. Make sure your bananas are ripe before use.
- Lemon juice – Have a lemon on hand while working with ripe banana. You’ll want to coat the banana slices in the lemon to prevent them browning.
How to make mini banana cream pies?
In order to make mini pies, you’ll want to use a tin. I use a classic cupcake tin, but feel free to use a specialised cookie cup tin or loose base cupcake tin.
Make the base – Combine the biscuits and melted butter in a bowl. Divide the mixture into the base of the tins and press down to compact. Set aside.
Make the custard – Add all of the custard ingredients into a saucepan, cook until thickened. allow to cool.
Banana layer – Thinly slice up the bananas and lay on top of biscuit bases.
Transfer the custard mixture into a piping bag and pipe on top of the bananas.
Whipped cream – In a mixing bowl, whip up the dairy-free whipping cream and cream cheese, transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle and pipe a swirl on top of each pie.
Make the caramel – You’ll want to make the caramel prior to the pies. Allow it to cool then drizzle over the top of each pie.
Chocolate – Grate some dark chocolate over each pie before serving.
Chill in the fridge until set, then tuck in and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag #thelittleblogofvegan over on Instagram in your photos / videos so I can see it. Make sure to PIN all the photos to your favourite Pinterest boards too!
Mini Vegan Banana Cream Pies
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Buttery biscuit bases, bananas, vanilla custard with a swirl of whipped cream, and a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel sauce. These Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies will become your go-to snack!
Ingredients for the base
- 160g of plain biscuits
- 100g of dairy-free butter / margarine
Ingredients for custard
- 250g of canned coconut cream (thick white cream only)
- 170ml of dairy-free milk
- 50g of cornstarch / cornflour
- 70g of caster sugar
- 40g of dairy-free butter / margarine
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract / 1 vanilla pod (seeds only)
- Pinch of turmeric or yellow food gel (optional)
Ingredients for the cream
- 100ml of dairy-free cream
- 2 tablespoons of dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 large ripe bananas
- Vegan caramel sauce (to drizzle)
- Dairy-free dark chocolate (for grating)
- Line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake liners, set aside and pre-heat oven to 180°C degrees c fan.
- Crumble the biscuits into a blender and blitz until you have fine crumbs.
- Add the dairy-free butter into a saucepan, heat on low until melted. Add the melted butter into the biscuits and pulse again to combine.
- Add 2 tablespoons of buttery biscuit base into each cupcake case, and compact with something flat, like the base of a small glass or rolling pin.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 6-8 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Method (custard filling)
- Add all of the ingredients into a medium sized saucepan and place over a low / medium heat. Whisk until the ingredients are combined, stirring almost constantly until the custard begins to thicken. It should be thick enough that it coats the back of a spoon.
- When thick, remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the custard is left for too long, it will go gelatonous. No worries, simply vigorously whisk it back to a smooth consistency. I like to use an immersion blender for this.
- Slice up the bananas, place into a bowl and coat in lemon juice. This prevents them from turning brown in colour.
- Place a few slices of banana into the biscuit ‘cup’.
- Transfer the custard into a piping bag and pipe approximately 1 – 1/2 tablespoon of custard on top of the bananas, into each cup.
- In a stand mixer or bowl with an electric hand whisk, whisk the dairy-free whipping cream and cream cheese until soft peaks. Transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle, then pipe a bulb on top of each pie.
- Decorate with a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce, a grating of dark chocolate and a banana slice.
To store: Store the mini banana pies in the fridge. Best enjoyed within 3 days of making.
How to prevent banana from turning bowl – Make sure to coat the sliced bananas in some lemon juice. The acid in the lemon juice inactivates polyphenol oxidase to prevent browning.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 6-8 minutes
- Category: Tarts and pies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: banoffee pie, mini vegan banoffee pies, banana cream pie
Overall super easy to make! 🙂 they also taste amazing.
Hello, Aw i am so happy you enjoyed! Thank you so much for your feedback xx
Hi, what can I use to substitute the dairy free cream cheese?