Buttery biscuit base, a whipped banana cream filling, topped with a swirl of whipped cream, fresh banana slices and a drizzle of homemade vegan caramel sauce. Keep reading to learn how to make the best Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies.
Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies
Easy Mini Vegan Banoffee Pies which you won’t be able to stop making, and eating! If your family and friends love a delicious mini dessert, be sure to make these vegan banana cream pies. Perfect for kids to get involved with making too.
We are currently having a heatwave here over in the UK right now, and I don’t know if you’re anything like me, but having the oven on, baking in this heat is a big fat NO. I couldn’t think of anything worse than being in a hot kitchen right now.
Simply no-bake recipes are perfect during the summer. It means you can enjoy all the delicious desserts and treats, without having to pop the oven on and become a sweaty mess- haha! I mean, if you want to bake the bases, it’s only for 6- minutes then the rest you finish off without the oven- yay!
These mini pies have a biscuit base, creamy filling topped with dairy-free whipped cream. I made a quick batch of my popular Vegan Caramel Sauce, and added a light drizzle to the top of each pie. It adds a sweetness, and makes the pies taste even better.
Why you need to make these banana cream pies:
- They’re vegan!!
- They can be made gluten-free, with optional gluten-free biscuits in the base
- Only takes 6-8 minutes to bake the bases
- They take minutes assemble
- They’re truly scrumptious
- They can be kept in the fridge, ready for snacking
- They’re topped with the BEST vegan caramel sauce (you could drink this stuff, haha)
Ingredients you’ll need to make these banana cream pies
- Plain biscuits – I like to use plain Digestives. If you’re in the US use graham crackers. To make this recipe gluten-free, simply use a gluten-free plain biscuit.
- Dairy-free butter / margarine – You’ll be melting this to mix into the biscuits to make a buttery biscuit base. A dairy-free butter or margarine will work great.
- Canned coconut cream – Use the thick white cream out of a can of coconut cream.
- Dairy-free milk – Any dairy-free milk will work great in this recipe.
- Corn starch / corn flour – The addition of the cornflour / cornstarch in the custard helps it thicken. It’s an essential ingredient to get the right consistency.
- Caster sugar – I like to use plain caster sugar, but white sugar or coconut sugar also works great.
- Vanilla extract – To get the best flavours, make sure to use a good quality vanilla. I like to use vanilla bean pod seeds as this really helps to elevate the flavours in the custard and overall dessert.
- Turmeric / yellow food gel – This is optional, but to help give the custard a slight colour, add in a pinch of turmeric or a drop of yellow food gel.
- Dairy-free whipping cream – You want to make sure to find a good quality dairy-free cream which can whip up to soft peaks. My favourites are the ‘The Coconut Collaborative Double Cream’, and ‘Elmlea Plant Based Cream Alternative’.
- Dairy-free cream cheese – Adding in some cream cheese into whipped cream helps to thicken it. I like to use Violife Cream Cheese.
- Dairy-free chocolate – It’s not a banoffee pie without some chocolate on top. It’s like the cherry on top of a cake, it cant be missed. Simply use dark chocolate, or even use a vegan milk / white chocolate.
- Bananas – Its not a banoffee pie without bananas. Make sure your bananas are ripe before use.
- Lemon juice – Have a lemon on hand while working with ripe banana. You’ll want to coat the banana slices in the lemon to prevent them browning.
How to make mini banana cream pies?
In order to make mini pies, you’ll want to use a tin. I use a classic cupcake tin, but feel free to use a specialised cookie cup tin or loose base cupcake tin.
Make the base – Combine the biscuits and melted butter in a bowl. Divide the mixture into the base of the tins and press down to compact. Set aside.
Make the custard – Add all of the custard ingredients into a saucepan, cook until thickened. allow to cool.
Banana layer – Thinly slice up the bananas and lay on top of biscuit bases.
Transfer the custard mixture into a piping bag and pipe on top of the bananas.
Whipped cream – In a mixing bowl, whip up the dairy-free whipping cream and cream cheese, transfer into a piping bag fitted with a round tip nozzle and pipe a swirl on top of each pie.
Make the caramel – You’ll want to make the caramel prior to the pies. Allow it to cool then drizzle over the top of each pie.
Chocolate – Grate some dark chocolate over each pie before serving.
Chill in the fridge until set, then tuck in and enjoy!
If you try this recipe, let me know! Leave a comment, rate it, and don’t forget to tag #thelittleblogofvegan over on Instagram in your photos / videos so I can see it. Make sure to PIN all the photos to your favourite Pinterest boards too!