Super soft and delicious Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls, which can be made in 1 hour! Loaded with chocolate and hazelnuts, topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. Super tasty!
Ingredients for the rolls
- 400ml of dairy-free milk (room temperature)
- 115g of vegan butter (melted)
- 50g of caster sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast (approx 7g)
- 480g of plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 heaped tablespoons of vegan nutella
- 2 Hu Chocolate Bar (roughly chopped)
- 15g of chopped hazelnuts
Ingredients for the frosting
- 80g of vegan cream cheese
- 140g of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of dairy-free milk (if needed)
- In a small saucepan on the hob over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter into a mixing bowl and add in the room temperature milk, sugar and dry yeast. Whisk to combine, then cover with a tea towel and set aside somewhere warm for 10 minutes. I like to place mine in my conservatory or near a pre-heating oven. Just somewhere where the bowl can warm up, but not in the oven. The mixture will froth up, as the yeast actives.
- Sift in the flour and salt.
- Knead the dough until its smooth and when you press it, it bounces back. The dough should smooth out and become less tacky. I like to use a a stand mixer with a dough hook but you can do this with your hands on a floured surface. Don’t over knead or the rolls will be tough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover and leave to proof in a warm place for 30 minutes – 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After 30 minutes, pre-heat the oven to 180° C fan. Grease a round dish with a little oil and set aside.
- Turn the risen dough out on to a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a 16” x 24” rectangle. The thinner the dough, the more swirls you’ll get.
- Spread the chocolate spread evenly over the rectangle. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
- Working from the long edge, roll the dough into a large log, pinching the ends together so it stays together and doesn’t fall apart. Using string, cut the dough Watch the video tutorial here. This recipe makes approximately 8-9 rolls. Place the buns into greased dish. There will be space between the buns, but they will puff up when they bake!
- Cover the dish again with a tea towel and allow the buns to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- When they’re puffed up, brush the edges of the dough with some dairy-free milk and place into the middle of the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the frosting.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add in the cream cheese and whisk until creamy. You can use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment or a electric hand whisk. You can even use a standard hand whisk for this.
- Add in the icing sugar and vanilla. Whisk together until no clumps remain. If it’s too thick, add in a splash of dairy-free milk. You want it to be tooth-paste consistency.
- If you want a glaze, drizzle over the buns while they’re warm. If you want the frosting to hold it’s shape on top of the buns, spread it on when the buns are cool.
- Decorate with a grating of chocolate. Enjoy!
To store: Store the rolls in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Best eaten on day of making.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Category: bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan chocolate sweet rolls, chocolate cinnamon rolls, chocolate rolls, nutella, cinnamon rolls