These indulgent vegan chocolate sweet rolls have a buttery soft homemade dough and a chocolate filling swirled through the middle. They’re shaped like cinnamon rolls, but taste like soft, chocolate clouds. Serve the rolls with a drizzle of melted chocolate or vegan Nutella!
This recipe has been made in collaboration with Hu Chocolate. All opinions expressed in this post are my own. (For more information along with affiliated links, check out my disclosure policy.)
Vegan Chocolate Rolls
I wanted to absolutely blow your mind with this recipe. Take one of the most loved desserts on planet earth ‘the cinnamon roll’ and stuff it to the brim with chocolate. I never thought I would say this.. but these chocolate rolls are superior to classic cinnamon rolls. There, I said it and I stand by it 100%- haha.
What are chocolate cinnmon rolls?
My chocolate cinnamon rolls are made up with an easy, traditional cinnamon roll dough, but instead of filling them with butter and cinnamon sugar, they’re filled with chocolate spread, chocolate chunks and chopped hazelnuts for a ‘Nutella’ flavoured treat.
Speaking of chocolate chunks, I actually used the ‘Hu Chocolate Dark Hazelnut Butter Bar‘ to help create this delicious recipe. I cannot wait for you to make these and try them for yourselves.
Hu Chocolate is delicious on it’s own (they make some of the nicest tasing vegan chocolate’, and they’re also great to bake with. I chopped up a whole Hu Chocolate Hazelnut Butter bar and sprinkled it into the middle of the rolls, along with some chopped hazelnuts. I wanted to make these sweet buns nutty and rich in flavour, and the combination works perfectly. Check out Hu Chocolate here.
These chocolate rolls are the perfect treat for autumn, heading into the ‘festive season’. And the best part, they’re 100% vegan and SUPER quick and easy to make!
How to make chocolate cinnamon rolls:
No-one wants a complicated recipe, so I have tried to make this recipe as easy and short as possible. They can be ready in an hour, with little prep needed.
Let me break it down for you, step by step (find the full written recipe & ingredients in the recipe card below):
Whisk together the milk, melted butter, sugar and yeast in to a large mixing bowl.
Cover with a tea towel and allow to sit for 10 minutes. This will help activate the yeast. When you remove the towel, the yeast should have grown.
Sift in the flour and salt. Knead to combine until a smooth dough. Place the dough ball in a greased bowl.
Place a towel over the bowl and place somewhere warm. Allow to prove for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
After an hour, dust the dough with a sprinkling of flour and roll out on a clean work top.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute until the texture smooths out.
Roll out the dough into a rectangle, spread on the chocolate spread and sprinkle on the chocolate and hazelnuts. Roll into a log and cut the dough into rolls using string.
Place into the greased dish, cover with a tea towel and set side one last time.
Bake until golden, then remove and decorate with the frosting.
Looking for more chocolate recipes? I have you covered:
No-Bake Mini Chocolate Cheesecakes
The BEST Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Cake
Bakery Style Vegan Chocolate Chip Muffins
Vegan Baked Chocolate CheesecakePrint
Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Super soft and delicious Vegan Chocolate Sweet Rolls, which can be made in 1 hour! Loaded with chocolate and hazelnuts, topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting. Super tasty!
Ingredients for the rolls
- 400ml of dairy-free milk (room temperature)
- 115g of vegan butter (melted)
- 50g of caster sugar
- 1 pack active dry yeast (approx 7g)
- 480g of plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 heaped tablespoons of vegan nutella
- 2 Hu Chocolate Bar (roughly chopped)
- 15g of chopped hazelnuts
Ingredients for the frosting
- 80g of vegan cream cheese
- 140g of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of dairy-free milk (if needed)
- In a small saucepan on the hob over low heat, melt the butter.
- Add the melted butter into a mixing bowl and add in the room temperature milk, sugar and dry yeast. Whisk to combine, then cover with a tea towel and set aside somewhere warm for 10 minutes. I like to place mine in my conservatory or near a pre-heating oven. Just somewhere where the bowl can warm up, but not in the oven. The mixture will froth up, as the yeast actives.
- Sift in the flour and salt.
- Knead the dough until its smooth and when you press it, it bounces back. The dough should smooth out and become less tacky. I like to use a a stand mixer with a dough hook but you can do this with your hands on a floured surface. Don’t over knead or the rolls will be tough.
- Form the dough into a ball and place into a lightly greased bowl. Cover and leave to proof in a warm place for 30 minutes – 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- After 30 minutes, pre-heat the oven to 180° C fan. Grease a round dish with a little oil and set aside.
- Turn the risen dough out on to a floured surface. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough out into a 16” x 24” rectangle. The thinner the dough, the more swirls you’ll get.
- Spread the chocolate spread evenly over the rectangle. Sprinkle with chopped chocolate and chopped hazelnuts.
- Working from the long edge, roll the dough into a large log, pinching the ends together so it stays together and doesn’t fall apart. Using string, cut the dough Watch the video tutorial here. This recipe makes approximately 8-9 rolls. Place the buns into greased dish. There will be space between the buns, but they will puff up when they bake!
- Cover the dish again with a tea towel and allow the buns to rise in a warm place for a further 20 minutes.
- When they’re puffed up, brush the edges of the dough with some dairy-free milk and place into the middle of the oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden in colour.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool while you make the frosting.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add in the cream cheese and whisk until creamy. You can use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment or a electric hand whisk. You can even use a standard hand whisk for this.
- Add in the icing sugar and vanilla. Whisk together until no clumps remain. If it’s too thick, add in a splash of dairy-free milk. You want it to be tooth-paste consistency.
- If you want a glaze, drizzle over the buns while they’re warm. If you want the frosting to hold it’s shape on top of the buns, spread it on when the buns are cool.
- Decorate with a grating of chocolate. Enjoy!
To store: Store the rolls in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 24 hours. Best eaten on day of making.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 25-30 minutes
- Category: bread
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: vegan chocolate sweet rolls, chocolate cinnamon rolls, chocolate rolls, nutella, cinnamon rolls