Crumbly Vegan Blueberry Crumbl Cookies with fresh blueberries, cream cheese frosting and a buttery crumble. Delicious & easy to make.
Ingredients for the compote
- 140g of frozen blueberries
- 50g of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch
- 15ml of lemon juice
Ingredients for the crumble
- 35g of plain flour
- 15g of caster sugar
- 25g of dairy-free butter
Ingredients for the cookie
- 115g of dairy-free butter (cubed)
- 140g of caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 30ml of dairy-free milk
- 210g of plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting
- 30g of dairy-free butter
- 30g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 250g of icing sugar
- 1 vanilla bean pod (seeds only)
Method (blueberry compote)
- Place the blueberries into a medium-sized saucepan and sprinkle over the sugar, cornflour / cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Place on top onto the hob over a medium to high heat and bring to the boil. This will take around 5-8 minutes. Keep stirring with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning, being careful not to burst the blueberries too much as you want some to stay whole. It will start to turn thick. Once thick, remove from the heat and allow to cool before using. As it cools, it will thicken up even more and turn jelly-like.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. As the compote cools, it’ll turn thick. If this happens, give it a gentle stir before using.
1. Add the flour, sugar and butter into a mixing bowl and rub with clean hands / fingertips until crumb like.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper.
- Add the butter and sugar into a mixing bowl or the bowl of the stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Whip with a hand mixer or the stand mixer until light and creamy.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Whip again until combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 6 balls using spoons or an ice-cream scoop.
- Add some of the blueberry compote into the dough while you’re scooping it, this will give a blueberry marble effect to the cookies.
- Before baking, sprinkle over the crumble on top of each cookie.
- Place the cookies on the lined tray (leave the dough in balls, don’t press them down!), leaving room in between as they will spread when baking.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until very lightly golden.
- Once baked, remove the trays from the oven, use a round cookie cutter to help shape the cookies. Use the cookie cutter to scoot the cookies into a circle.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking tray. While they’re cooling, make the frosting.
Method (cream cheese frosting)
- Add the butter and cream cheese into a bowl and whip until smooth and creamy, either in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment or using a hand held electric whisk.
- Add in the icing sugar and vanilla, whip until creamy. If it’s too thin or if it ever splits, add in some more chunks of butter.
- Transfer the frosting into a piping bag fitted with a large round tip nozzle.
- Once the cookies are fully cool, pipe a swirl of the cream cheese frosting on top of each cookie, decorating them with a tea spoon or so of blueberry compote and any left over crumble. Place into the fridge to chill and set.
- Once set, serve and enjoy.
To store: Store the cookies in a sealed container in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before serving. Best enjoyed 3 days of making.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12-15 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: blueberry crumbl cookies, vegan blueberry crumbl cookies, blueberry cookies