These spooky & delicious Vegan Oreo Bat Cupcakes are perfect for Halloween! Great for kids to make and decorate, and easy to make.
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self-raising flour
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 210g of dairy-free block butter
- 200g of icing sugar
- 20ml of aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 4 ground Oreo crumbs
Ingredients for the Oreo bats
- 100g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- White chocolate buttons ( I use sainsburys Free from White Chocolate Buttons)
- 1 pack of Oreo cookies
Method (Oreo bats)
- Add the dark chocolate into a heat proof bowl, fill a saucepan with water then place the bowl over the pan over a medium heat on the hob. This creates a bain-marie. Stir to melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Take some Oreos and carefully cut half of them in half where the cream is. Separate the pieces and lay out on your worktop. Cut the other half down the middle of the Oreo cookies in half to create the bat wings (check out my video tutorial here).
- Add some melted chocolate to the whole Oreo half and place 2 ‘wings’ into the chocolate, placing the other whole Oreo half on top to sandwich together. When the chocolate sets, this is what will. hold the Oreo and wings together.
- Using a spoon, scoop a little of the melted chocolate on top of the Oreo. Allow it to cover the Oreo bat and place onto grease proof paper. Once all have been coated, place them into the freezer to set fully.
- Gently press 2 white chocolate button eyes along with a dot of dark chocolate in the middle on the Oreo to resemble the bat eyes. Repeat until all the Oreo tops are covered with the chocolate and the candy eyes have been added. Keep chilled.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan and line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and whip to combine.
- Pour in the aquafaba and whip for 5-8 minutes until it turns light and creamy. The buttercream should be thick, creamy and silky smooth. If it feels too heavy, add chunks more butter / splashes of aquafaba until it’s very light in texture.
- Fold in the Oreo crumbs.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip nozzle. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake, and sprinkle over more Oreo crumbs.
- Place a Oreo bat on top of each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store iced cupcakes in the fridge in a sealed container. Best enjoyed within 2 days of making.
Where to find aquafaba? Aquafaba is the water from a can of chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas and only use the water!
What dairy-free butter to use? My favourite is Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Butter. Use a thick butter for the best textured and stable buttercream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween, halloween cupcakes, vegan oreo bat cupcakes, oreo cupcakes, oreos