Spooky and delicious! These Vegan Oreo Bat Cupcakes are perfect for Halloween and the kids will love helping you decorate them! If you are looking for more spooky and fun Halloween dessert recipes, check out my Spooky Vegan Rocky Road, Vegan Ghost Shaped Pop Tarts, Vegan Pink Velvet Cake and No-Bake Vegan Rice Krispy Treats. All are absolutely irresistible.
Vegan Oreo Bat Cupcakes
Halloween is almost here! Bust out those pumpkins, pop ‘Halloween’ on the TV and let’s get spooky. I shared the recipe for my festive Polar Bear Oreo Cupcakes at Christmas last year and they went viral on Instagram! It’s now time for a scary version, let’s all welcome- Oreo Bat Cupcakes!
First of all, Oreos are the best cookie ever, so any reason to buy Oreos, i’m totally down for! You can make these as spooky as you want using melted dairy-free dark chocolate and white chocolate for the eyes. If you wanted to make them even spookier, red or yellow eyes would be very scary!
Oreo cupcake ingredients
These spooky Halloween cupcakes are so much fun to make and decorate. You’ll need only a couple of ingredients, some of which you may already have in your kitchen cupboard. Jot these down for your next shopping trip:
- Dairy-free milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Self raising flour
- Cocoa Powder
- Caster sugar
- Baking powder
- Bicarbonate of soda
- Sunflower Oil
- Dairy-free butter
- Icing sugar
- Can of chickpeas (aquafaba)
- White chocolate
- Dark chocolate
How to make Halloween Oreo Bat Cupcakes
For detailed instructions, check the recipe card below.
Rich and moist chocolate cupcakes topped with a swirl of the whippiest and lightest Oreo buttercream you’ll ever try! It’s like eating a soft and smooth Oreo cloud, it’s THAT good!! Oh, and you can’t forget the adorable Oreo bat on top. LOVE LOVE LOVE!
Cupcakes: Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees C Fan, and line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake cases. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free milk and apple cider vinegar, whisk to create a buttermilk.
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar and raising agents. Pour in the oil and buttermilk, fold together until no dry is remaining.
Divide the batter between the cupcake cases, with either spoons or an ice-cream scoop. Bake for 18 minutes, or until a skewer inserted down the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Allow to cool fully before frosting.
Frosting: Add dairy-free butter into a bowl and whip until light and creamy. I use a stand mixer with balloon whisk attachment. Sift in the icing sugar then aquafaba. Whip for 5-8 minutes on high speed until light and creamy. It should be quite airy.
Fold in the Oreo crumbs and transfer into a piping bag fitted with a star tip nozzle. Pipe a swirl on top of each cupcake, and sprinkle with more Oreo crumbs.
Oreo bats: Twist an Oreo in half carefully so you don’t break them, then take another Oreo and cut it in half so you have the wings. Use some melted chocolate to stick the ‘wings’ on the half of the Oreo, then press the other half of the Oreo on top to create the bat shape.
Melt chocolate and drizzle over the ”bats”. Allow to set in the fridge until firm to the touch. Use white chocolate buttons with a dot of dark chocolate in the middle for the eyes and press on to the front of the ”bats”.
Place the ”bats” into the buttercream and serve.
FAQ – Oreo Bat Cupcakes
Are Oreos Vegan?
YES! Oreos are accidentally vegan friendly. Check out my previous Oreo inspired recipes here.
Can I make this recipe gluten-free?
- Unfortunately, this recipe isn’t gluten-free. BUT, you can now buy gluten-free Oreo styled cookies which happen to be vegan friendly also, I have linked them here.
What dairy-free butter to use?
- You can use any vegan block butter, but my personal faves are Naturli Vegan Block, Flora Plant Based Block and
Can I make this recipe in advance?
- You sure can! Make sure, if you make the cupcakes the day before, store them in a sealed container to keep them fresh. You can store plain, un-iced cupcakes in a sealed container out of the fridge overnight. This will help them get extra moist.
How to store Oreo bat cupcakes?
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge. Allow the cupcakes to come to room temperature before serving and tucking in!
If you make, and love this recipe, please leave a ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ rating below. It would mean so much, thank you & happy baking!Print
Vegan Oreo Bat Cupcakes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 8–10 1x
- Diet: Vegan
These spooky & delicious Vegan Oreo Bat Cupcakes are perfect for Halloween! Great for kids to make and decorate, and easy to make.
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self-raising flour
- 50g of cocoa powder
- 100g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 60ml of sunflower oil
Ingredients for the buttercream
- 210g of dairy-free block butter
- 200g of icing sugar
- 20ml of aquafaba (chickpea brine)
- 4 ground Oreo crumbs
Ingredients for the Oreo bats
- 100g of dairy-free dark chocolate
- White chocolate buttons ( I use sainsburys Free from White Chocolate Buttons)
- 1 pack of Oreo cookies
Method (Oreo bats)
- Add the dark chocolate into a heat proof bowl, fill a saucepan with water then place the bowl over the pan over a medium heat on the hob. This creates a bain-marie. Stir to melt the chocolate until smooth.
- Take some Oreos and carefully cut half of them in half where the cream is. Separate the pieces and lay out on your worktop. Cut the other half down the middle of the Oreo cookies in half to create the bat wings (check out my video tutorial here).
- Add some melted chocolate to the whole Oreo half and place 2 ‘wings’ into the chocolate, placing the other whole Oreo half on top to sandwich together. When the chocolate sets, this is what will. hold the Oreo and wings together.
- Using a spoon, scoop a little of the melted chocolate on top of the Oreo. Allow it to cover the Oreo bat and place onto grease proof paper. Once all have been coated, place them into the freezer to set fully.
- Gently press 2 white chocolate button eyes along with a dot of dark chocolate in the middle on the Oreo to resemble the bat eyes. Repeat until all the Oreo tops are covered with the chocolate and the candy eyes have been added. Keep chilled.
- Keep stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C fan and line 2 cupcake tins with cupcake cases.
- In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
- Add the oil to the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
- Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter. Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
- Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
- Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
- In a large mixing bowl, add in the dairy-free butter and whip until creamy. I use a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attachment, a hand mixer will work great too.
- Sift in the icing sugar and whip to combine.
- Pour in the aquafaba and whip for 5-8 minutes until it turns light and creamy. The buttercream should be thick, creamy and silky smooth. If it feels too heavy, add chunks more butter / splashes of aquafaba until it’s very light in texture.
- Fold in the Oreo crumbs.
- Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip nozzle. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of each cupcake, and sprinkle over more Oreo crumbs.
- Place a Oreo bat on top of each cupcake.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store iced cupcakes in the fridge in a sealed container. Best enjoyed within 2 days of making.
Where to find aquafaba? Aquafaba is the water from a can of chickpeas. Drain the chickpeas and only use the water!
What dairy-free butter to use? My favourite is Naturli Vegan Block and Flora Plant Butter. Use a thick butter for the best textured and stable buttercream.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Category: Cupcakes
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: halloween, halloween cupcakes, vegan oreo bat cupcakes, oreo cupcakes, oreos
These bat cakes are sooo tasty and look amazing. Great for my daughters halloween birthday party. They all loved them!
Absolutely delicious and they look spookily fantastic.
Absolutely brilliant recipe! All 6 cousins (and grandma!) loved them! A perfect treat for our halloween party x
Hello Hen, Aw i am am soooo happy you enjoyed!!! Thank YOU all! xxx