Made in less than 30 minutes, these easy Vegan Blueberry Danishes are made with puff pastry, lemon cream cheese and blueberry compote. The perfect breakfast or dessert!
Ingredients for the blueberry compote
- 150g of blueberries
- 80g of caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cornstarch / cornflour
- 1/2 tablespoon of lemon juice
Ingredients for the cream cheese
- 130g of dairy-free cream cheese
- 15g of gluten-free / plain flour (depending if you are making them gluten-free)
- 15g of caster sugar + extra for sprinkling
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 2 sheets of puff pastry (I use JusRoll Vegan + Gluten-free Puff Pastry)
- Icing sugar (dusting)
- Dairy-free milk (glaze)
Method (blueberry compote)
- Place the blueberries into a medium-sized saucepan and sprinkle over the sugar, cornflour / cornstarch and lemon juice.
- Place on top onto the hob over a medium to high heat and bring to the boil. This will take around 5-8 minutes. Keep stirring with a heatproof spatula or wooden spoon to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning, being careful not to burst the blueberries too much as you want some to stay whole. It will start to turn thick. Once thick, remove from the heat and allow to cool before using. As it cools, it will thicken up even more and turn jelly-like.
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge until you’re ready to use it. As the compote cools, it’ll turn thick. If this happens, give it a gentle stir before using.
Method (lemon cream cheese filling)
- In a bowl, mix together the cream cheese, flour, sugar and lemon zest. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Transfer the filling mixture into a piping bag and snip off the tip. If you don’t have a piping bag, simply spoon the filling onto the pastry.
Method (pastry and assemble)
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan and line 2 large baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Unroll the pastry sheet leaving the baking paper underneath. This will prevent sticking. Use a rolling pin to slightly flatten out any wrinkles in the pastry. Dust over some plain flour if the pastry is too sticky.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the pastry into equal sized squares, however large or small you want them. Use the same sharp knife to make some cuts around the edge of the squares (see photos above for reference).
- Pipe or spoon some of the lemon cream cheese filling into the middle of the square and top with a teaspoons amount of the blueberry filling. Lift up and pinch together the decorative pastry edges which we cut (see video for reference). Place a fresh blueberry into the middle of the decorative shape.
- Brush dairy-free milk over the pasty and sprinkle over some granulated sugar.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown in colour.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with a dusting of icing sugar.
To store: Store the danishes in a sealed container in the fridge, allow to come to room temperature before enjoying. Best served day of making. Best eaten 2 days of making.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Pastry
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: french
Keywords: Puff pastry, Breakfast recipes, Danishes, Vegan Blueberry danish, blueberry