Made in less than 30 minutes, this easy Vegan Blueberry Danish recipe is made with store bought puff pastry, lemon cream cheese filling with homemade blueberry compote. This recipe combines the delicious flavour of cream cheese, with zesty lemon and buttery puff pastry. They’re pastry perfection, perfect breakfast pastry or dessert!
Vegan Blueberry Danishes
You will love these bright and fun blueberry pastries with the scrumptious fresh and zingy blueberry and lemon flavours along with the flakey puff pastry. They’re not overly sweet and they’re the easiest danish recipe you’ll ever make, not forgetting the tastiest! Thanks to store-bought puff pastry, this blueberry pastry recipe comes together in under 30 minutes! There’s the perfect amount of blueberry, lemon, cream cheese and pastry, you’ll be going back for seconds… trust me!
Why this recipe works
- Puff pastry : When the pastry is fully baked, it turns the pastry into a dough into a delicate, layered and super flakey puff pastry with lots of buttery notes. So so yummy!
- Cream cheese filling : A super simple dairy-free cream cheese filling is filled with fresh lemon zest for a zesty twist to classic blueberry danishes. It adds so much flavour, it’s delicious paired with the blueberries.
- Blueberry compote : The blueberries are cooked in a saucepan over the hob along with sugar for sweetness, some lemon juice and cornstarch to thicken. It’s so perfect!
- Icing sugar dusting : To increase the sweetness, it has a simple dusting of icing sugar that brings it all together.
- Easy to make : This is an easy blueberry danish so calls for store bought puff pastry but you are welcome to use homemade if you’re up for it!
- Great for storing : These danishes are amazing for storing in a sealed container to keep fresh. They can be left at room temperature in a air tight container overnight!
Ingredients to make vegan blueberry cream cheese danishes
- Blueberries : You can use fresh or frozen for this recipe.
- Caster sugar : Use a fine white sugar for the best flavour. You can use granulated sugar as an alternative. I wouldn’t recommend brown sugar as the flavour will overpower the blueberry and lemon.
- Cornstarch / cornflour : Helps to thicken the compote.
- Lemon juice : Lemon adds a zesty flavour and makes the danishes super tasty!
- Dairy-free cream cheese : Use a good quality vegan cream cheese, my favourite is Violife.
- Plain flour : Plain flour / all purpose flour is added into the cream cheese mixture to give it some stability, so it doesn’t just melt when baked.
- Puff pastry : You can use homemade, but store bought works a treat. I use JusRol Vegan and Gluten-free Ready to roll Puff Pastry.
- Icing sugar : Dust some icing sugar over the pastries before serving for a rustic and homemade finish.
How to make Blueberry Cream Cheese Danishes
You will only need a few ingredients, a handful of tools and a spare 30 minutes to make these delicious berry bursting, flakey and best of all DELICIOUS danishes! Find the full written recipe and method in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Blueberry compote
Add all of the ingredients in a saucepan over the hob and cook until thick and bubbling. Allow to cool fully before using. It will thicken as it cools too. Store in the fridge or at room temperature until ready to use.
- Lemon cream cheese
Add all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine until smooth and creamy. Transfer into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
Allow the pastry to come to room temperature for 5 minutes before rolling out, this will make it easier to work with. Roll out the pastry to flatten any lumps or bumps. Make cuts around the edges of the squares and place on grease proof paper (see photo for reference below). Pipe or spread on some cream cheese in the middle and top with some blueberry compote. Lit and pinch the pastry in the middle, brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
Bake in the oven until flakey and golden. Allow to cool before serving.
Serve with a dusting of icing sugar or go all out with some dairy-free cream.
Blueberry danish Tips and Tricks:
- Make sure to check your ingredients are vegan : It’s always worth triple checking your pastry to avoid picking up a non-vegan product. Same goes with the dairy-free cream cheese and sugar!
- Work quickly: Puff pastry does tend to thaw and soften quite quickly. You’ll get a better rise from pastry that stays cold.
- Give them space : The pastries will puff up in the oven, so make sure you give them enough space.
- Make sure the swirls are cool before adding on the cream. If you serve it on the pastries on while the they’re hot, or even slightly warm, it will melt.
- Don’t skip the sugar coating: The crisp and crunchy sugar on top adds sweetness, a delicious crunch and also helps to colour the pastry golden!
- Chill them: Chilling the puff pastry shapes in the freezer for 5 minutes before baking, helps them to keep their shape better.
- Store: To keep them fresh, make sure to store them in a sealed container in the fridge and enjoy within 2 days of making. After a few days, the pastry will loose it’s crispness.