Quick and easy Vegan Caramel Apple Crumble Bars are buttery, spiced and warming. Perfect simple snack for Autumn / Fall.
Ingredients for the shortbread base
- 500g of plain / all purpose flour (you can use a good quality gluten-free blend)
- 150g of caster sugar
- 350g of dairy-free butter (cold and cubed)
Ingredients for the crumble
- 250g of plain / all purpose flour (you can use a good quality gluten-free flour blend)
- 150g of light brown sugar
- 200g of dairy-free butter (cold and cubed)
Ingredients for the apple filling
- 330ml of cold water
- 2 tablespoons of corn flour / cornstarch
- 100g of caster sugar
- 2 heaped teaspoons of ground cinnamon
- 3 Medium green apples, peeled, cored and sliced
Vegan caramel sauce
- Click here for the recipe (half the batch)
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan, and line a 9 x 9 loose base / push up square baking tin with greaseproof paper. Make sure the base and sides are fully lined, as the filling could stick.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift in the flour and sugar. Add in the butter, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry mixture until a dough forms. Form into a ball.
- Press the dough into the lined tin, making sure it’s even. Prick the base with a fork.
- Pop into the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden in colour. Once golden, remove from the oven and place the tin onto a cooling rack.
- Leave the shortbread in the tin as we’ll be pouring over the apple filling and crumble topping.
- In a bowl, sift the flour and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Add in the butter, using your fingertips, rub the butter into the dry mixture. You don’t want to form it into a ball but break it up into a crumble. Set aside.
Method (apple filling)
- Wash then finely slice the apples as thinly as you can. You can peel the apples but it’s completely optional.
- In a large saucepan, mix together the water, cornflour, sugar and cinnamon. Give it a good mix while everything is cold to prevent the cornflour from becoming lumpy.
- Add the finely sliced apples in the pan and place over medium-high heat. Cook for around 5-8 minutes, until the mixture becomes thick and syrupy. The apples will have softened slightly too.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 5 minutes to further thicken.
- Pour the apples on top of the shortbread and level out. You want the entire base of shortbread covered by the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle all of the crumble over the apples, pressing down slightly so it sticks / compacts.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 35-40 minutes, until the top of the crumble is golden brown in colour and the apples are bubbling Tip: Place a baking tray on the lower rack of you oven to catch any of the apple mixture which may drip down.
- Let the apple bars sit in the tin for around 1-2 hours at room temperature, then transfer into the fridge for a further 4 hours. I personally like to leave them in the fridge overnight.
- Once chilled, use the baking paper to lift them out of the tin. Use a sharp knife and cut into 10-12 squares / slices and enjoy!
- Serve with a drizzle of vegan caramel sauce.
To store: Store the bars in an air tight / sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Allow to come to room temperature before serving.
Serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce, or go all out with some vegan ice-cream or custard.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Brownies and bars
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Caramel apple, Caramel apple crumble bars, autumn recipes, apple crumble, vegan apple crumble