These vegan caramel apple crumble bars consist of a buttery shortbread base, gooey apple pie filling with a crunchy crumble topping, drizzled with homemade caramel sauce. They make the perfect bake for Autumn / Fall, and are great served warm with a scoop of dairy-free ice cream or custard.
Vegan Caramel Apple Crumble Bars
These caramel apple crumble bars are the perfect combination of my two Fall / Autumnal favourites – spiced apple pie and buttery shortbread! I love nothing more than apple pie around the Autumn, but it’s really fun in bar form. They’re easier to make, easier to eat and most of all…great for storing and sharing. I love taking my favourite desserts and turning them into a brand new dessert! Make sure to check out my Vegan Oreo Pop Tarts, Vegan Crème Brûlée Cookies and Easy Vegan Tiramisu Tart.
What is apple crumble?
Apple Crumble is one of the best dessert creations EVER, in my own opinion. It’s a dessert with a crumbly topping consisting of flour, butter, sugar, and sometimes oats, typically baked over either apple or rhubarb. As a dessert, crumbles are traditionally served with whipped / single cream, custard or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. To make these bars extra delicious and add a sweet touch, they’re served with a drizzle of the BEST vegan caramel sauce! The flavour of spices and caramel is unmatched – it’s simply divine! You’re going to love them!
Why you’ll love these caramel apple bars
These bars are super easy, bursting with delicious flavour, and every bit is flavourful as a classic apple pie. There are hundreds of reasons why you’ll love these bars, but iv’e listed the main points below:
- You need simple ingredients to make this yummy treat.
- Vegan friendly!
- They can be made gluten-free!
- Crispy and crunchy crumble topping.
- Shortbread, spiced apples and crumble… best combo EVER!
- Buttery shortbread melts in your mouth.
- Apples are perfect soft, chewy and spiced with cinnamon.
- Served with a hefty drizzle of caramel sauce.
- Super easy to make.
- A cozy and warming treat for Autumn / Fall.
- 3 layers of sheer flavour and texture perfection.
Ingredients you’ll need:
A buttery shortbread base and crumble topping are filled with sweet, juicy spiced apples, perfect for snacking! You’ll be very happy to hear, this recipe uses simple ingredients.. most of which you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards / pantry. If not, don’t worry.. they are easily found at your local supermarket / grocery store. Find the full recipe, ingredients quantities and method in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
- Plain / all purpose flour – Use gluten-free to make this recipe free from gluten.
- Caster sugar – Use fine, white caster sugar.
- Light brown sugar – Don’t use dark brown sugar, it’ll make the dessert too rich. Light brown is perfect.
- Dairy-free butter – Be sure to use a vegan block butter such as Naturli Vegan Block or Flora Plant Butter for example.
- Cold water – Fill a glass or bowl with water then add in an ice-cube. Helps chill the water.
- Cornflour / cornstarch – An essential ingredient which helps to thicken the apple filling.
- Ground cinnamon
- Apples – I like to use green Granny Smith Apples. Best results, peel the apples before use, but i personally like having the skins on. Other apples you can use are Pink Lady or Honey Crisp.
- Caramel sauce – You can find the recipe here (simply half the ingredients for a smaller batch).
What apples to use for apple crumble bars?
For best results, you want to use an apple that will hold up during baking and won’t become mushy. Having the apples soft but with a slight crisp texture is absolutely delicious! Here is what personally recommend:
- Granny Smith (My personal favourite and the apples I use).
- Honey Crisp.
- Pink Lady.
How to make vegan caramel apple crumble bars
This recipe is easy to make and makes the best seasonal treat, which you’ll be making all Fall / Autumn.. trust me! Find the full written recipe and method in the recipe card at the bottom of the page.
Start with the shortbread. Mix together the flour and sugar. Mix in the butter until a dough forms then press into the lined tin. Smooth out until flat and even, prick with a fork and bake for approximately 20 minutes until lightly golden in colour. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Apple filling
In a saucepan, add in the water, cornflour/cornstarch, sugar, cinnamon. Whisk to combine. Add in the finely sliced apples and cook until bubbly and thickened. Pour the apple filling on top of the shortbread, spread out until in an even layer.
Use a fork to mix together the sugar, flour and butter until clumpy. Sprinkle the crumble all over the spiced apples, pressing it down slightly to compact. Bake for 30-40 minutes until the crumble is golden in colour and. the apples are bubbling.
- Chill time
Once baked, allow to come to room temperature before placing in the fridge overnight.
Once set, use a sharp knife to cut into bars. Serve with some caramel sauce and enjoy.