Spooky Vegan Chocolate Bat Cookies with a ‘Nutella’ Filling and sugar eyes are delicious, easy to make and perfect for Halloween!
Ingredients for the cookies
- 200g of dairy-free block butter (cold and cubed)
- 100g of caster sugar
- 300g of all purpose / plain flour
- 40g of cocoa powder
- 8 Oreos (crushed)
Ingredients for the filling
- 4 tablespoons of vegan ‘Nutella’ (I use Natures Store Hazelnut and Cocoa Spread)
Ingredients for the candy eyes
- Royal icing googley eyes (see notes for alternatives)
- Cream the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and cocoa powder, mix into a thick dough. You may want to add in a teaspoon or two of ice-water to get it to the right ‘dough’ consistency. Transfer the dough into plastic wrap or baking paper and chill in the fridge for at least 40 minutes -1 hour to firm up.
- In the meantime, preheat the oven to 170°C fan and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Once the dough is chilled and firm to the touch, roll out to approximately ½ cm thickness on a heavily floured work surface (this prevents the dough from sticking). Cut into shapes using a bat cookie cutter. Place the shapes on the lined baking tray.
- Add the Oreos into a blender and blitz until fine crumb like. Press the Oreo crumbs to the top of half of the cookies.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes. You can even turn the tray half way through to ensure an even baking.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and allow the cookies to cool slightly on the tray before transferring to a wire rack. Repeat until all the cookies are baked.
- Add a few tablespoons of vegan ‘Nutella’ into a piping bag and snip off the tip.
- Pipe a swirl of the spread to the cookies without the Oreo crumbs on (we do this as the spread won’t stick very well to the crumbs!). Sandwich a Oreo crumb coated bat cookie on top.
- Press down gently so that the sandwich cookies stick together.
- Use a dot of the vegan ‘Nutella’ to stick on the royal icing eyes. Get the recipe for the eyes here.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Keep the cookeis fresh by storing them in the fridge in a sealed / air tight container. Best enjoyed within 3-4 days of making.
If you can’t find candy eyes in the supermarkets or online, and are unable to make the homemade vegan royal icing eyes, a great alternative option if to use a white chocolate button and pipe on some dark chocolate to the middle. You could even stick on a mini chocolate chip.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Hallowee, Halloween baking, Halloween cookies, bat cookies, sandwich cookies, nutella cookies, vegan chocolate bat cookies, spooky recipes, easy recipes