Vegan Strawberry Linzer Cookies – These easy two toned cookies have a buttery cookie filled with strawberry jam. Perfect for Valentine’s day.
- 300g of plain / all purpose flour
- 80g of icing / powdered sugar
- 150g of dairy-free block butter
- 1/4 teaspoon of strawberry flavouring
- 3 – 4 tablespoons of dairy-free milk
- Pink food gel
- Strawberry jam (vegan friendly, seeded or de-seeded)
- Pre-heat oven to 180°c fan (350°F, gas mark 4) and line 2 baking trays with grease proof paper. Set aside.
- Add the flour, icing sugar, butter, strawberry flavouring and 3 tbs of dairy-free milk. Mix until a cookie dough forms. You can mix by hand or in a food processor.
- Remove 1/2 of the dough and set aside. Add a drop of pink food gel to half of the dough, combine into a light pink cookie dough. You can knead this in by hand, but it may stain your hands, best to wear some protective gloves. Also, don’t OVER mix the dough too much or it can become tough. You’ll then have 1 white dough and 1 pink dough.
- Roll out each dough individually to the same thickness, around 1/2 to 1/4 inch thick. Use a mini heart cookie cutter to cut hearts out of each coloured dough. Place the pink hearts into the light coloured dough and white hearts in the pink colour dough so you have two patterned doughs. Watch the video for reference, as it’s berry explained visually. Cut the hearts in a uniform pattern for the best looking result. Refer to video for example.
- Use a medium sized shaped heart cookie cutter to chomp out the heart shaped cookies and place on the lined trays.Use the mini heart cookie cutter to cut out the middle of only half of the cookies (you want the other half full as these are for the base / bottom of the sandwich cookie).
- Place into the freeze for 5 minutes to help firm up the biscuits before baking.
- Place into the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden in colour. Remove from the oven and allow the biscuits to cool on the tray.
- Flip all of the cookies (without the heart cut out) upside down. Spread or pipe strawberry jam on top of the cookie then place a cookie with the heart cut out on top. Press down to secure it in place.
- Serve and enjoy!
To store: Store the cookies in an air tight / sealed container in the fridge. Allow to come to room temperature for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan strawberry linzer cookies, linzer cookies, valentines recipes, valentines baking, cookies, easy recipes