What’s better than an ordinary doughnut?…..a gingerbread man doughnut of course!
These doughnuts are shaped like gingerbread men, filled with a delicious gingerbread custard filling and rolled in golden caster sugar- YUM!
They’re perfect for Christmas baking with the family!
These doughnuts are easy to make and taste & smell like authentic doughnuts.
They are perfectly fluffy with the deliciously creamy and lightly spiced filling.
Ingredients you’ll need to make these doughnuts:
- Dairy-free milk
- Active dry yeast
- Caster sugar
- Self-raising flour
- Dairy-free butter
- Egg replacers
- Corn starch
- Gram flour
- Vanilla extract
- Icing sugar
- Ground ginger
They are filling, warming and cosy…I can imagine tucking into one, paired with a coffee watching some Christmas films!
They’re fun for the whole family to get involved in, and everyone is going to love them.
They taste even better than they look…if that’s even possible *drooling*.
You could even fill them with jam, cream, custard…anything you fancy!
Preparation: 2 hours
Cooking time: 2-3 minutes (Per doughnut)
Makes: Approximately 20 doughnuts
Ingredients for the doughnuts
- 330ml of warm dairy-free milk (I use unsweetened almond)
- 2 packs (14g) of active dry yeast powder
- 75g of caster sugar
- 600g of self-raising flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 100g of melted dairy-free butter
- 2 egg replacers (I use Vegan Egg)
Ingredients for the custard
- 6 ounce of warm dairy-free milk (I use unsweetened almond)
- 1 ounce of water
- 20g of caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons of cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon of gram flour
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
Ingredients for the cream filling
- 1 tablespoon of dairy-free milk (I use unsweetened almond milk)
- 1 ounce of dairy-free butter
- 160g of icing sugar
- 2 teaspoons of ground ginger
- Vegan custard (Ingredients above)
- Caster sugar (for coating)
- Sunflower oil (for frying)
To make the doughnuts
1. Place the warm dairy-free milk into a bowl and sprinkle over the yeast and sugar, stir, cover with a tea towel then put into a warm place for around 10-15 minutes until frothy.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the flour & salt and stir.
3. In another separate bowl, add in the melted dairy-free butter and vegan egg substitute.
4. Combine the dry mixture, yeast mixture and egg mixture into a bowl and stir.
5. Mix with a hand whisk or attach a dough hook to your stand mixer and begin to knead on medium until nice and smooth.
If it’s too liquidy, add in some more flour.
7. Once doubled, turn the dough out onto a clean, floured surface and roll out until around 1/2 inch thick.
8. Using a gingerbread man cookie cutter, cut out gingerbread men and place onto a lined baking tray.9. Place the cutout doughnuts back into a warm area covered with a tea towel for around 1 hour until they have doubled in size.
10. Add oil into a deep pan until half – 3/4 full and bring to the boil.
Allow it to come up to 320 degrees.
11. Once the doughnuts have risen, gently lower them into the hot oil and fry for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until puffed and golden brown in colour.
Carefully take them out of the hot oil and place them on kitchen paper towel to drain any excess oil.
12. While they are still warm, coat them in golden caster sugar.
Allow them to cool before filling.
To make the custard
1. Heat the almond milk in a saucepan until warm then remove from the heat.
2. Add in the water, sugar, cornstarch, gram flour, and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add more vanilla extract if needed.
To make the cream filling
1. Place the almond milk and butter into a bowl and whisk until smooth.
2. Add in the icing sugar, ground ginger and all of the custard.
Mix until smooth.
Add more cornstarch for a thicker filling.
3. Pop the filling into a piping bag and snip of the tip.
4. Poke a hole in the side or middle of the doughnuts and fill each of the doughnuts.
Serve fresh and enjoy.
Store in a sealed container.
Best enjoyed day of making.
Make sure you follow me on social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021