What do you want for dessert? Cake..Popcorn..?
Well, why not have both?!
I’ve combined my two favourite desserts into one delicious cake which you’ll want to make as soon as possible.
A vegan caramel sponge with caramel buttercream, with homemade salted caramel popcorn.
Hands up if you want a slice! I sure do!
Can you ever have TOO much caramel? I think not- haha!
This cake screams CARAMEL! In particular, salted caramel.
I love the combination of sweet and salty, so adding a dash of salt into caramel is perfect!
It accentuates the richness of the caramel sauce and transports it onto another level of deliciousness.
Why is caramel popcorn cake superior to any other?
- Sweet ‘n’ salty
No matter what the occasion, whether it be a birthday party, family gathering or you just want a cake for yourself to enjoy, this cake will hit the ‘sweet spot’ for sure, or if you’re adding in salt.. a ‘salty sweet spot’!
Preparation: 2 hours
Baking time: 28-30 minutes
Serves: Approximately 6-8
Ingredients for the cake
-240ml of dairy-free milk
-1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
-225g of self-raising flour
-150g of caster sugar
-1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
-1 teaspoon of caramel flavouring (optional)
-60g of vegetable oil or coconut oil
Tip- Make the caramel sauce a few hours in advance so it has time to cool.
Ingredients for the buttercream
-90g of dairy-free butter
-1 tablespoon of caramel sauce
-250g of icing sugar
-Pinch of salt
Ingredients for the popcorn topping
-40g of plain popcorn
-3 tablespoons of caramel sauce
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line an 8 inch cake tin with grease-proof paper.
2. In a bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
4. Add the melted vegetable/coconut oil and caramel sauce into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
5. Add the wet ingredients, along with the caramel flavouring into the dry ingredients and mix.
6. Pour the batter into the lined cake tin.
Make sure to tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
7. Pop the cake into the center of the preheated oven and bake for around 28-30 minutes.
You will know it’s done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and it is springy to the touch.
8. Place the cake on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully.
Once cool, pop the cake into a sealed container to keep it fresh before frosting.
1. In a bowl/stand mixer, cream the butter on high then add in the caramel sauce, icing sugar and salt.
Whip until smooth and combined.
Add in some dairy-free milk if needed.
2. Dollop the buttercream on top of the cake and swirl around using a spoon or spatula.
1. Place the popcorn in a large bowl and pour over the caramel sauce.
2. Stir together using a spoon until the popcorn is coated.
3. Place the caramel popcorn onto of the cake.
As popcorn can go soft when moisture is added, add the caramel onto the popcorn before serving this cake.
Serve fresh or store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Best eaten within a few days!
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021