Nothing goes better with an afternoon coffee or tea than cake..right?
These are my current favorite cupcakes. If you’re a coffee fan, you’re going to go crazy over these!
A moist and rich chocolate cupcake with a whipped coffee frosting.
How to jazz up these cupcakes even more:
- Add caramel sauce to the core and drizzle on top for a ‘caramel latte’ effect.
- If you don’t want to use dalgona, you can make a whippy coffee buttercream and swirl it on top of the cupcakes.
- Add a dash of ground ginger into the cupcake batter to transform these cakes into Christmas cupcakes. You could even top them off with a vegan gingerbread man cookie.
I first heard of dalgona during the ‘whipped coffee’ trend back earlier this year on social media. I posted my biscoff dalgona coffee video which blew up on Instagram.
Preparation: 20 minutes
Baking time: 18-20 minutes
Makes: Around 8-10
Ingredients for the cupcakes
- 240ml of dairy-free milk
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
- 210g of self-raising flour
- 20g of cocoa powder
- 60g of caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
- 2 teaspoons of ground coffee
- 1 teaspoon of hot water
- 60g of vegetable oil / melted coconut oil
Ingredients for the dalgona frosting
- 4 tablespoons of ground coffee
- 4 tablespoons of caster sugar
- 4 teaspoons of warm water
- Caramel sauce (for the core)
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line a cupcake tin with cupcake cases.
2. In a small bowl, combine the dairy-free milk with the apple cider vinegar and whisk until fully combined.
Set aside for 10 minutes to curdle. This creates a vegan ‘buttermilk’.
3. In a large mixing bowl, sift the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda. Mix well to combine.
4. In a small bowl, add in the ground coffee and hot water, stir together to make concentrated coffee.
5. Add the oil into the ‘buttermilk’ and whisk to combine.
6. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until a smooth batter.
7. Fill the cases 3/4 full with the batter.
Make sure to tap the tins on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
8. Pop the cakes into the preheated oven and bake for 18-20 minutes.
You will know they are done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and they are springy to the touch.
9. Place the cupcakes on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
Method (dalgona frosting)
1. In a bowl, add in the coffee granules, sugar and warm water.
2. Whisk vigorously for around 5-8 minutes until thick and creamy.
3. Core the cupcakes and fill with caramel auce (optional).
4. Transfer the dalgona into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip nozzle and pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes.
Cupcakes with dalgona ontop, Best enjoyed day of making.
The dalgona will not hold like usual buttercream / frosting. They’ll hold for an hour so so.
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2021