Hello Autumn, you call for warming and cosy desserts, in particular.. loaf cakes!
I love a good loaf cake. They’re easy to make, always come out delicious and are the perfect addition to an afternoon perfect tea or coffee, whichever you prefer. I’m definitely an iced coffee girl-hah
I wanted to create a loaf cake that was perfect for this time of year. I adapted my summery ‘Vegan Lemon Loaf‘ recipe to incorporate a light spice of autumn along with a kick of zest from fresh oranges.
A delicious lightly spiced sponge with fresh orange, a cinnamon swirl, topped with a creamy cream cheese frosting.
This orange and cinnamon swirl loaf is:
- Extremely moist with a crisp crust
- Very easy to make – no mixer needed
- Filled with hints of zesty orange and spiced cinnamon
- Covered in a creamy and tart cream cheese frosting
- Layered with a decorative cinnamon swirl
Ingredients you’ll need to make this loaf?
- Self-raising flour
- Baking powder
- Ground cinnamon
- Caster sugar
- 1 medium-sized orange
- Vegetable oil/coconut oil
- Light brown sugar
- Dairy-free cream cheese
- Icing sugar
- Vanilla extract
Preparation: 5 minutes
Baking time: 45-50 minutes
Ingredients for the cake
-275g of self-raising flour
-1 teaspoon of baking powder
-1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
-190g of caster sugar
-Zest of 1 medium orange
-Juice of one medium orange
-100ml of vegetable oil / melted coconut oil
-170g of water
Ingredients for the cinnamon swirl
-3 tablespoons of light brown sugar
-3 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
Ingredients for the cream cheese frosting
-50g of dairy-free cream cheese
-30g of dairy-free butter
-200g of icing sugar
-1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1. Preheat your oven to 180 degrees c and line a 8×5 inch loaf tin with a liner or greaseproof paper.
2. In a bowl large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, sugar and orange zest.
Stir together with a whisk or wooden spoon to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the orange juice, oil and water. Whisk to combine.
4. Add the dry into the wet and fold together until a smooth batter.
5. Take 4 tablespoons of the loaf batter and place into a separate bowl, and add in the light brown sugar and ground cinnamon. Stir to combine, this will make the cinnamon swirl.
6. Pour half of the loaf batter into the lined tin and spread out evenly with a spoon or spatula.
Layer the cinnamon swirl mixture on top, then add on the remaining loaf batter.
Using a toothpick or skewer, gently swirl the batters together. Don’t over swirl as you want a defined cinnamon swirl inside.
Tap the tin on the worktop to remove any air bubbles.
7. Place into the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
Make sure to check it after 40 minutes. You will know its done when you put a knife or skewer in and it comes out clean and it is springy to the touch.
8. Place the loaf on a cooling rack and allow to cool fully before frosting.
Method (cream cheese frosting)
1. Add the dairy-free butter and cream cheese into a large bowl and cream together.
I use my stand mixer with the balloon whisk attachment. You can use a hand / electric whisk.
2. Add in the icing sugar and vanilla extract then beat together until light and fluffy.
If it’s too thick, add in more butter and if it’s too runny, add in more icing sugar until it’s creamy.
3. Spoon the frosting on top of the loaf and even out with a spoon or spatula.
Decorate with some chopped walnuts and star anise (optional)
Serve fresh and store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Best eaten within a few days!
Make sure you follow me on my social media
My Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/thelittleblogofvegan/
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2020