When caramel meets shortbread and chocolate, something magical happens.
Inspired by the classic Millionaires shortbread, I bring to you, the Millionaires Tart.
A 3 ingredient base, with a thick and chewy caramel core, topped with a swirly chocolate ganache, and a sprinkle of sea salt. 100% vegan and heavenly.
This decadent tart would pair perfectly with a scoop of dairy-free vanilla or salted caramel ice cream.
You could even go all out and serve with a drizzle of caramel sauce- the choice is yours!
Why you NEED to make this tart?
- The condensed milk in the caramel makes for an extra gooey caramel core
- The shortbread is only 3 ingredients and tastes extremely light and buttery
- The base is crumbly which works perfectly with the soft center
- It’s great for sharing with friends or family, especially for celebrations like Christmas, add some gold leaf for a special, festive touch.
- It goes heavenly with a coffee or tea (a reason to have a mid-day tea break)
Decadent, delicious, filled with flavour, this is the perfect dinner party dessert.
Baking time: 20 minutes
Chilling time: Overnight
Ingredients for the shortbread base
200g of plain flour
100g of icing sugar
Pinch of salt (optional)
125g of vegan butter alternative
Ingredients for the caramel
120g of dairy-free butter or margarine
50g of dark brown sugar
100g of caster sugar
280g of vegan condensed milk
3 heaped tablespoons of cornflour
2 tablespoons of dairy-free cream
Ingredients for the chocolate topping
100g of dairy-free dark chocolate
40g of dairy-free cream
Sea salt (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, (160°C for fan ovens), Gas Mark 4 and grease a 9″ inch fluted tart tin with dairy-free butter or coconut oil.
2. Mix the flour and icing sugar in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt (optional). Rub in the vegan
butter / margarine into the flour mixture using your fingertips. Keep combining the mixture until it just comes together as a ball of dough. Do not over-knead it at this stage.
3. Press the dough into the lined tart tin, making sure it is even and pressed into the edges
of the tin.
TIP- With any extra left over dough, roll out and using a star / festive cookie cutter, cut out stars shapes, place onto a baking tray and bake for 18- 10 minutes or until golden in colour.
4. Prick the dough with a fork, line with greaseproof paper and fill with baking beans then place into the middle of the oven and bake for around 20 minutes, or until lightly golden brown in colour.
Set aside to cool for 15 minutes.
1. Place the vegan butter, sugars, vegan condensed milk in a medium-sized non-stick saucepan.
Put the cornflour in a small bowl and add the dairy-free cream, whisking until you have a thick paste. Add the paste into the pan and mix well to combine.
2. Heat the caramel on low / medium, stirring all the time until it hits a rapid boil. Allow the caramel to come up to 116°C or firm ball stage on a sugar thermometer (if you drop a little mixture into ice-cold water it should form a firm nonsticky ball in your fingers). Leave to cool for a few minutes to
3. Pour the caramel over the shortbread base and spread it into the sides. Cool and
then set in the fridge overnight.
Chocolate ganache ( method)
1. Using a bain-marie, fill a saucepan ¾ full with water and place a heatproof bowl on top. Add in the chocolate and dairy-free cream and melt together until smooth and combined.
2. Pour and spread the ganache all over the caramel and smooth with a spoon or pallet knife. Place into the fridge to chill until set.
3. Using a knife briefly dipped into boiling water and then dried, cut and serve.
Optional: Serve with a light sprinkle of sea salt and edible gold leaf (perfect addition for Christmas).
Keep the millionaires tart in the fridge, they will keep for about a week.
Make sure you follow me on my social media
The Little Blog Of Veganⓒ All Rights Reserved. 2020